what to grow ? Please help

• 22 Replies

umps25

what to grow ? Please help
« on: August 03, 2013, 19:44 »
I got my allotment three months ago. I have Cleared the full plot and had various success and failures but have learnt from my mistakes. I still have upto a 3rd of the plot to free but have run out of ideas what to grow next also i dont know what to grow now ready for autumn and winter. All help would be very welcome fellow allotmentiers

BobE

Re: what to grow ? Please help
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 19:57 »
Monty on GW last night was putting in Purple Sprouting Broccoly.  Wide spaceing as well and so would need a lot of area.

umps25

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 20:06 »
thank you i have some already in its doing ok. but i could do more and it will be good space filler. A good way to get rid of those last few seeds too

BobE

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 20:13 »
Monty was useing fairly mature but young plants.  I'm not sure if there is time to seed?

The RHS has a view on late veg.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=707

What about a green manure.

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 20:14 »
umps25

There is still quite a lot that can be planted even now !
John on this site has an awesome little chart

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-month-help/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

umps25

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 20:19 »
thank you both for replying. Thanks for the link. I very new to gardening this is the first time i have grown anythin. Also im getting called a few names from my mates as im only just thirty. i have great enjoyment in my allotment so far and am looking to continue also have been given three polytunnels by fellow allotmentiers, any ideas on what i get get started in there ?

BobE

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 20:20 »
thank you both for replying. Thanks for the link. I very new to gardening this is the first time i have grown anythin. Also im getting called a few names from my mates as im only just thirty. i have great enjoyment in my allotment so far and am looking to continue also have been given three polytunnels by fellow allotmentiers, any ideas on what i get get started in there ?

What names are you being called?

umps25

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 20:23 »
grandad lol old fogi all in jest

BobE

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 20:25 »
If you google "What to grow under a polytunnel" there is a lot of opinion and information.  I get the impression that a tunnel opens the doors to a lot of winter planting.  Can you put some pics up please.  We love looking at other peoples work.

umps25

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 20:26 »
also bob im thinking about the green manure i have a plastic pallet ready for compost and manure

umps25

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 20:28 »
i am going up in a bit to take some recent pics i have planted an autumn raspberry in today. thanks for the links. im off to plant some seeds in my tunnels im going to try brocoli and turnip also some cabbage.
 thank you bob

BobE

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 20:32 »
grandad lol old fogi all in jest

Wait till you can give them some produce.  Have you got, can you get a few fruit bushes?  Red Currant, Black Currant although they will take a couple to three years to produce a lot.

Next year go for strawberries.  Then you can take them some punnets in.  Especially in that tunnel.  And you can grow tomatoes in it next year.

Work on getting everything build and in place, read some books, Look in the shop on this site there are some good value veg books.

I admire your intentions, at the age of thirty you have loads of time to grow everything.  (Just a thought, some garden centers might have some Brussel sprout plug plants.  Ready for December??

Remember: Nothing in a garden is a mistake, it was an experiment with different results than expected.

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 20:32 »

Enjoy it. Im not that 'old' either. I see it as healthy living, exersise, been outside and good thearpy for the mind and soul !   I would personally get cracking on some salad, when it gets colder the polytunnels can shelter them.

Look at spinach and onions as well.

I have in the past and continue to have 1/3 of my plot under either mustard or rye/clover and rotate the sections around. that way I have the plot always in 'use' and less dammed weeds in empty spaces.
Its great stuff, let it grow and cut it before it goes to seed and dig it in !  Good for overwintering sections ready for next year to boot !

umps25

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 22:10 »
well this evening i have set up polytunnels with some brussel sprouts and cabbage also trying a few brocolis. lets see the results. I am establishing my fruit patch although it contsists of raspberries ,strawberries, r
hubarb. my next venture will be blackcurrant and blackberries

BobE

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 22:19 »
Sounds good.  Get a Red Currant bush and a goosberry bush as well if you can.
Are you planning on a long term with this Allotment.  I ask because fruit bushes are at least a three year commitment.

clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
What to grow?

Started by blackhobbescat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 16:22
by WG.

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 37 queries.