devastating storm

• 12 Replies

Grubbypaws

devastating storm
« on: August 03, 2013, 07:31 »
We were hit last evening by a tremendous storm. Within seconds the ground was entirely covered with large hailstones blown in at frightening speed. My husband pulled me away from the windows as he thought that they were going to get blown in.

I am really not looking forward to going outside and seeing the damage. I can see from the window that all my lavender is flattened and the courgette plants  are in pieces. The leeks are all flattened and the basil snapped in half  :(

Asherweef

Re: devastating storm
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 07:39 »
Oh dear... Where abouts are you? I'm on the mobile version and can't see but I'm oop Wigan and we had some rain last night immediately after watering my plants!!!

I'm not going to say commiserations until you inspect the damage - may not be as bad as it looks!!!

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 07:41 »
what doesn't kill them, makes them stronger!
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 07:47 »
Fingers crossed it's not as bad as you think. We had a massive thunderstorm last night with driving rain, but thankfully no hail.

Am going up to inspect my culticaves on the plot, as I stupidly left them open last night. Hoping that the contents aren't too battered.

Let us know what it's like up there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:49 by surbie100 »

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 08:27 »
 :) courgettes tatty but have survived. Beetroot and parsnips ditto

:( leeks all broken. Basil wont survive. Coriander and flat leaf parsley all have broken stems with leaves scattered around.

I have some basil undercover so we will still have some. The coriander/flat leaf parsley I will pick and use. The leeks are the real problem. Most of the leaves are broken in half. I dont know whether to trim them all or leave them. Anyone any knowledge here.

The sun is coming out so I might wait and see if things perk up, but what is snapped is snapped. In the flower bed the lavender and sanguisorba are completely flattened. The anemone and verbena are snapped in half, the apples have been stripped off the tree and we have big branches down.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 08:32 »
Sorry to hear that.

The leeks still have some growing time, so I hope they will perk up for you. If the leaves are just split they will still be attached at the bottom.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 08:43 »
How frightening  :ohmy:

Luckily the leeks will just need a trim up and they will be just fine. A little feed of Sulphate of Potash will see them rocket on again.

Glad there was no broken glass!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 08:46 »
I would trim off the damaged leeks as there is time for them to recover.  It depends on how high up you are in the peak district, location is important, can you cloche them for a bit to give them a sheltered start ?
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

seaside

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 19:36 »
I agree with the above, trim them. It will only stunt them a little and will be fine. I have had to cut quite a few of mine down to ground level due to leek moth. They grow from the root.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 21:21 »
I Feel for your loss " But it will all recover "  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 08:45 »
Thank you Sparky and everyone else. The leeks are trimmed and fed. The scattered basil plants washed and eaten on some smoked salmon which my OH brought home especially to cheer me up. The coriander is in the fridge and will be used for chicken coriander tomorrow.

The courgettes were amazing. The leaves were shredded by the hail and all the fruit looks as if someone has attacked it with a shot gun! I know one can have too many courgettes but....

I have taken off all the damaged fruit and we had that as a risotto last night. I have also taken off all the damaged baby fruit so no more courgettes for a little while; there is always a bright side  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 09:56 »
Oh just seen this, sorry for your losses Grubby,made me remember the devastation here last year when we were hit by a freak hail storm, some of you may remember I posted pics of the hailstones & a link to a video,not something I would want to go through again,gardens,cars,houses were trashed.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beetroot queen

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 10:52 »
After the funny start to this year thats all you needed. I bet most will pull back its suprising how well these little plants pull through  ;)

xx
Storm Malik

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2022, 18:34
by cc
xx
The calm after the storm

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 18:16
by Christine
xx
Summer Storm

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2016, 19:15
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.491 seconds with 36 queries.