allotment clearing

• 25 Replies

Nobbie

Re: allotment clearing
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28 »
Weedkillers are expensive and have disappointing results.

Weedkillers will only work effectively if you follow the instructions they print on the box. The key with Roundup and similar is to get plenty of fresh leaf area for the weeds to absorb it so that it can kill the roots. This may mean cutting off the tall stuff and waiting 4-6 weeks for new growth. At some times of year this won't be possible and so digging will be the quickest way, but hard work on the back.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 11:28 »
i agree with armleywhite, strim, cover, weigh down with bricks/stones, roll back an area at at time and dig all the weed roots out, if there are two of you one can dig, and the other can crouch down and sort the weed roots from the soil, and bag them up.
start slowly doing half an hour and build up gradually and hopefully your back will get more supple and stronger.

i would just say dont feel you have to do it in a rush, (unless you only have a certain amount of time as stipulated on your agreement) and plant stuff in what youve dug. :)

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 18:15 »
Some people just want immediate clearance without any hard work.  I prefer the hardwork, being a fat beggar I need it :) 

I wouldn't touch glysophates in any quantity for all the tea in china, or toms in my greenhouse :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 18:43 by mumofstig »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 18:22 »
Some people just want immediate clearance without any hard work.  I prefer the hardwork, being a fat beggar I need it :) 

I wouldn't touch glysophates in any quantity for all the tea in china, or toms in my greenhouse :)

I like the hardwork too. I have almost finished clearing the Jungle I took on in November (got pics in my diary). I did it single handed without chemicals of any description. I found if oddly satisfying...

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 18:27 »

I like the hardwork too. I have almost finished clearing the Jungle I took on in November (got pics in my diary). I did it single handed without chemicals of any description. I found if oddly satisfying...

Great innit?  I was given a half plot earlier this year and it looked like someone had been cultivating weeds at an alarming rate.  To help with time I covered the area in weed control fabric and left it for several weeks.  As I uncovered it the vast majority of weeds were gone and the rest dug out easily.  Not a single drop of horrid poison used :)  Planted a few fruit trees in the area and getting a portion of it ready for the strawberries for next year. 
With the weeds unable to be composted I dig out n bag them and take them to the council composter.  rest of them goes in the compost on my lotty.  I think that sometimes people get far too impatient and end up putting themselves at risk.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 18:41 »
Sadly I couldn't cover in membrane as the majority of it was chest high nettles and brambles with a floor covering of ivy! Haha. Still, the soil seems good and relatively fertile so it has been worth it. Only a 3m by 3m section left to clear now!

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 18:47 »
Sadly I couldn't cover in membrane as the majority of it was chest high nettles and brambles with a floor covering of ivy! Haha. Still, the soil seems good and relatively fertile so it has been worth it. Only a 3m by 3m section left to clear now!

To be fair, I did use a strimmer / brush cutter to get it down to a mangeable length before covering.  Thats as much as was used for ease.  :)

captainhastings

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 18:57 »
I scalped mine with a spade small section at a time then dug it over and pulled out as many roots as I could and got planting.
The scalped stuff I pile up in a square heap and any roots. I was worried the heaps would come to life but I went to move one last week and was pleased to see every thing in pile dead and rooting down nicely so left it there.
When i clear any crops and turn it over again I can have another root finding session then hopefully I will be getting the better of it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 20:15 »
I use glyphosate when needed about once a year.

Each to his/her own.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 23:37 »

Each to his/her own.
If only you knew ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 21:40 »

Each to his/her own.
If only you knew ;)

Each to their own Armleywhite.  I'm sure you probably do lots of things I disagree with too.

xx
Clearing the allotment

Started by andyhardy5 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 06:27
by Growster...
xx
allotment clearing

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 07:32
by cadalot
thumbup
Help clearing my allotment

Started by BelindaC on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 17:19
by BelindaC
xx
Clearing My Allotment

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 19:09
by Kristen

Page created in 0.665 seconds with 36 queries.