Oh my goodness hubby just walked in with our

• 61 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: Oh my goodness hubby just walked in with our
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2013, 08:50 »
RJR, I've found that the yellow ones are less vigourous, and less productive, which, perversely, is a Good Thing if we want to avoid a glut of courgettes.

And yes, the taste is more subtle, so shallow-fried in olive oil they'll go with anything.  And they're pretty, prettier, prettiest.

Tom

Oh really? I didn't realise they were less productive. I might do a couple of plants of each next year then

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2013, 09:00 »
I don't think I've ever seen them in the shops - I've looked and Mr Tesco doesn't seem to do them - I dare say someone has, but they're much less common, and I can only put this down to their being less profitable for commercial growers.  Waitrose might do them, at a premium price....
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2013, 09:47 »
Yes, waitrose does them (we live next door to a huge one). I suppose I just assumed it was one of those things that people expect courgettes to be green as that's what supermarkets originally did and so now people won't buy other colours (like the coloured carrots thing).

What you say makes sense though

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2013, 14:33 »
I know that traditional types of courgette can easily turn into marrows whilst your back's turned but my "Di Nizzas" seem to be in a different league!

I've honestly tried to pick them at the recommended 4" in diameter (like the one on the left), but haven't been too successful with some of the others!  ::)

I've eaten one of a similar size to the one in the middle and it was pretty good with the seeds scooped out and baked with cheese and herbs, but I really don't know what I'm going to do with the one on the right, which weighs 4lb!  :ohmy: The seeds were 25p per packet from Lidl by the way.

If you're wondering what the cuke is doing in the pic it's just to prove that I can grow some cukes (Marketmore) although yet again I don't necessarily always pick them when I should!

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2013, 14:49 »
Whoa, JayG!  Gotta assert and agree that picking courgettes small - 15 - 20cms - long varieties, in culinary terms, is the way forward.

'Courgettes' are supposed to be little,  (the diminutive - 'ettes' means 'little').  If we want marrows, grow marrows.  Courgettes are another ball-game.  They're less fibrous picked little.  They're as good as God can give, picked little - especially yellow ones!

Not taking away from you, JayG, the worthiness of your crop.

Am indebted to compostqueen for her 'zeppelin' description of over-sized courgettes.  Shame on us for allowing them to become 'zeppelins'!

Tom

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2013, 14:59 »
I think the crop is "worthy" of a "Whoa!!" but otherwise, not being able to manage to pick things at the right time and size is not that clever!  :lol:

Think I should have gone to Specsavers!  8)  ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2013, 15:23 »

I've eaten one of a similar size to the one in the middle and it was pretty good with the seeds scooped out and baked with cheese and herbs, but I really don't know what I'm going to do with the one on the right, which weighs 4lb!

I have a delicious courgette/marrowchutney with cracked black pepper if you want it. :D

Edited to separate quote from reply
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 16:01 by JayG »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2013, 16:07 »
That's a nice thought if it's a recipe your offering Mrs Bee - I'm not really a chutney sort of person, although I'm sure others will be interested if you've not posted it elsewhere on the forums.

I might have to reconsider my statement anyway the way things are going at the moment (unless I buck my ideas up!  ::))

compostqueen

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2013, 22:50 »
Like these?  :)
cour.jpg

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2013, 07:57 »
That's a nice thought if it's a recipe your offering Mrs Bee - I'm not really a chutney sort of person, although I'm sure others will be interested if you've not posted it elsewhere on the forums.

I might have to reconsider my statement anyway the way things are going at the moment (unless I buck my ideas up!  ::))

We are not chutney people either, but I have had to do something with the mountain of courgettes the neighbours planted for us. We have given some back to them in the form of chutney and courgette and ginger jam...which they bring out to show visitors, frozen them hollowed out, diced and sliced, fed them to the chickens, left them on the plant for neighbour to take for other animals when they get too big, and eaten them most days one way or another. The rest, I am sorry to say, have gone on the compost heap, diguised by other garden rubbish! Thankfully they are almost finished!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 08:04 »
yes please to the chutney link  8)

Photo of post-holiday courgette shame.  I got my di nizza's from Lidl too!!!   :blink:-
IMG00220.jpg

Debz

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2013, 09:23 »
I am still waiting for my first ones this year although they are likely to be ready by the end of the week.  My green ones didn't germinate at all so we've only got yellow ones this year.  At least I am likely to get courgettes though which is more than I did last summer.  I won't complain if they decide to run wild and produce loads although that's not too likely with only 2 plants.

composthappens

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2013, 16:36 »
Zepplins lololol!!! :lol:   I pulled up my whole plants and ditched the lot on the compost heap, they had grown to the size of marrows, very heavy to lift, and i wont be growing any next year as we dont really eat them much anyhow.

BobE

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2013, 16:41 »
I did wonder that about pumkins.  What do you do with them apart from Sept 29th.

compostqueen

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2013, 17:20 »
Oh Bob, Bob, Bob

Don't get us started on what to do with pumpkins again please  :nowink:  We've been there a thousand times.  There are more pumpkin recipes on here than you could ever need.

xx
oh my goodness!!

Started by lisa on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2006, 20:28
by noshed
xx
thank goodness my sis has just got her own allotment

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 13:35
by snowdrops
xx
Oh my goodness. I may have my own plot!

Started by Ygerna on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 22:16
by SnooziSuzi
xx
It's raining - thank goodness!

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 08:35
by barbarella

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 37 queries.