Break-in! Goddam crooks!

• 23 Replies

cudders

• Experienced Member
Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« on: December 31, 2007, 15:55 »
Got to the the lot today to find the door had been bust open.

Levered the hasp clean off the door. No lock on the shed, but there's not too much in it. Nothing missing though.

My main concern was seeing the chicken shed door kicked in and not a sign of the chucks :<

Looked inside and they were all huddled in one corner, must have been spooked. At least they are ok and none missing.

They must have been looking for big stuff to steal but I don't have anything apart from hand tools and they left those.

Still, wish I'd have caught them, got a nice piece of 4x2 doing nothing....

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 15:58 »
how awful, it makes me so angry that some idiots think they have a right to take stuff that doesnt belong to them or to wreck things for the fun of it.

makes you want to just rip their flipping kna****s off

keep an eye on the chooks for a few days as they may suffer from stress, lots of cuddles and attention :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 16:00 »
Good news the chooks are OK Cudders  :D

It would be nice to catch the little sc***es, but they probably get you prosecuted for not being "nice" to them  :evil:

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 16:10 »
Pity you haven't a really aggressive cockerel! I knew someone once who had one who would have seen off any intruder...they called it Atilla!! We were offered him but, surprise, surprise, we said no thank you!

Thank goodness the hens were all ok.

Judi

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 16:17 »
ive got a cockerel, but think he's a gay, he'd go up to an intruder and hop on his lap for a cuddle :wink:

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 16:32 »
I know exactly how you feel. At the start of 2007 11 of my hens were stolen from our field. It took the Police two days to ring us back and guess what they said that they were really sorry, but it would be difficult to catch the crims.
I wish I had seen them, our two large lurcher dogs would have loved to have played with them  for a while :evil:  :evil:  :twisted:
Since then I have moved the hens to nearer to our cottage. The evil gits have been around the neighbours field and tack, horse food and tools have gone. They even stole the rug of an old horses back, this was replaced the next day by the owner, and guess what? they cam back that night and took it again. When the police were asked why there was never a police presence around the villages, we were told that as there are only a few calls they can not take men away from the hotspots. Begin to wonder what this country is becoming :roll:  :( co
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

Selkie

Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 16:51 »
Cudders, that is truly awful - the poor hens (and poor you too), they must have been petrified; just think a fox or dog could have come in and had them with the door burst open like that.

Oh I just don't understand the mentality of people who do that kind of thing, it's just so mindless :twisted:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 16:53 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
it's just so mindless :twisted:

Precisely Rose  :evil:

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Thieving b......!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 17:18 »
When we lived in Yorkshire some horrible s*ds stole my dovecote in the night of my birthday. I awoke wondering why the birds were flying around so distressed but couldn't believe it when Isaw that the cote was gone. There were youngsters that were lost and it took ages to re-settle the birds. I got an article in the paper and made sure they couldn't sell it! I had a friend who knew some villains so she told them to look out for it. I hope they never managed to get rid of it! I was heart-broken watching my lovely birds flying around the stump...my lovely husband made a temporary cote and later a lovely new one.

It was the worst birthday I've ever had.

Judi

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 17:25 »
It's infuriating when things like this happen - it's such an invasion of privacy.  It happened to me a couple of weeks ago, but all they took were small things of little value - the generator, brand new pot bellied stove and all of my tools were left behind.  :evil:

In the end I have to think to myself that these things will happen and there's little that you can do about it.  

Personally, I've just fitted a 5 lever mortice lock to the inside of my shed door, but you can be that if they can't get in that way they'll find another way in so it's futile really.

When ours were broken into (entire plot was done) one plot wasn't and the only difference was that the sheds were in the chicken run so they probably thought the shed just had chooks in... I'll be putting a chicken wire fence round mine soon to see if I can fool them.

Hope things work out for you and you either find out who they are or get your stuff back though Cudders

mashauk

Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 17:58 »
Ours get broken into regularly apparently, once only since we've been there, all they took from us was 2 spades, but they took petrol out of one shed (which isn't supposed to be stored there but that's not the point) and poured it over someone's crops, now that I found really disgusting! I wonder what they'll do when we have our polytunne? One plotowner found a tramp sleeping in his shed, he was booted out before he could claim squatter's rights though :lol:

cudders

• Experienced Member
Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 18:37 »
Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

Turns out another two were done the other day and a generator nicked. Probably the same idiots....

I sat with the chucks for an hour and they seemed to brighten up. Took food when offered so I'll be up early to check em out tomorrow.

Luckily I fixed the fence back up that had collapsed the week before so not so easy now for any foxes. Thank goodness!

Cudders

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Break-in! Goddam crooks!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 19:37 »
I was just reading this weeks copy of Amateur Gardener and it had a bit of advice to deter would-be thieves and I can't believe I've never thought of this...

just use a sharpie and put your name and address on your tools and that might deter them from taking certain items!  Simple!

Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow!

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
A thought!
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 10:47 »
What about painting everything bright pink...would it be quite a nickable then?? Imagine the ratbags trying to sell it!!

Happy New Year!

Judi

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
Re: A thought!
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 11:40 »
Quote from: "Lost in France"
What about painting everything bright pink...would it be quite a nickable then?? Imagine the ratbags trying to sell it!!

Don't know about that one.  There has been quite a trend recently for pink gardening tools!  I guess brown and pink go quite well together!!

Sorry about the break-in.  Even when nothing has been taken it just makes you so mad, as it is so pointless! :evil:   I'm glad the chickens are ok though, that could have been really nasty.
On the very steep learning curve of organic veg growing!!!!

xx
Break in

Started by grinling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 17:28
by karlooben
xx
can't break the broody

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 21:48
by Shazzer
xx
Do I need to 'break' my broody hen?

Started by dilsdaisy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 19:28
by jinty1911
xx
Break in the weather would be grand!!

Started by doodoo on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 20:48
by karlooben

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 37 queries.