what to do with onions grown from seeds

• 39 Replies

puffinstuff

« on: December 30, 2007, 23:05 »
i planted some onion seeds several weeks ago and they are now starting to sprout.  I have them in a planter on the windowsill.  I'm not too sure what to do with them now.  should i plant them in the allotment and when would be the best time to do this.  #Any suggestions would be appreciated.

puffinstuff  :D

gobs

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 23:11 »
A wee bit too eager for me, I'm going to sow mine in a couple of weeks time, but they should be OK, though.

You hang onto them a lot longer, until they grow to a few inch, make sure they get as much light as can and are kept as hard as can in your coolest place (do this gradually if they are spoilt). Plant out earliest opportunity,when fully hardy and has strong roots and foliage and ground not frozen.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 23:16 »
They are outside right?

puffinstuff

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 23:28 »
no they are inside on the windowsill.

puffinstuff

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 23:31 »
Quote from: "WG."
They are outside right?

Quote from: "puffinstuff"
I have them in a planter on the windowsill.  

puffinstuff  :D

Windowsill to me means inside, window ledge, outside. Could be wrong (again).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 23:31 »
Bit "in-between" for me - I have outdoor ones sown around September (I think), and will be sowing some indoor ones at end of January.

As gobs suggests - give yours as much light and as little temperature as they will stand.

splodger

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 23:37 »
my over-wintering ones went in in sept - in a seed bed - i shall transplant them in spring - to my onion bed

my kelsae are going to be sown in trays - very soon

the others in mid to late jan i expect

i suspect that your indoor - window box ones will need a good bit of (gentle) hardening off before you can plant them out - they might not make the switch

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:16 »
Bit "in-between" for me - I have outdoor ones sown around September (I think), and will be sowing some indoor ones at end of January.

As gobs suggests - give yours as much light and as little temperature as they will stand.

Do you sow yours in a warm propagator, or directly into a seed tray? I have't ever grown any from seed before. :?

seadart

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 07:45 »
A/G January 5th Says plant them out in late March  :wink:
Life? Don't talk to me about life!!
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s34/smilies-151.png[/img]

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 08:26 »
Quote from: "gwiz"

Do you sow yours in a warm propagator, or directly into a seed tray? I have't ever grown any from seed before. :?

Tried it one year. I'm using sets again. 'Nuff said. Probably werk for you, didn't werk for me.

Gwiz

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 08:29 »
Quote from: "DD."

Tried it one year. I'm using sets again. 'Nuff said. Probably werk for you, didn't werk for me.

Fair comment, I've got some sets in, I'll stick in a few more later, methinks.  :wink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 08:45 »

Fair comment, I've got some sets in, I'll stick in a few more later, methinks.  :wink:

Got the winter ones in, have been since October. My summer maturing ones won't see the ground until March at the earliest.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 10:43 »
I did onions from seed for the first time last year.  Sowed early Jan in pots on window sill.  Transplanted to trays at around 5cm high & put in cold green house.  Planted out at Easter.  Pleasing results.

Detail on my beds:  Made previous autumn with cardboard + compost on lawn grass. In spring I covered compost with newspaper + layer of sand and punched holes in paper with a pencil & planted onion seedlings through this into the compost.  Did mighty well for an experiment & I harvested onions that kept our family of 6 self sufficient in onions until end Nov or so.  Bed is now waiting for spring, but cardboard and newspaper mostly rotted away.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

WG.

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 11:58 »
Quote from: "DD."
Tried it one year. I'm using sets again.

I would agree.  Onion sets are much easier and more reliable.

There are, IMHO, two passable reasons for growing from seed: (a) variety, it is hard to find really strong flavoured varieties in sets and, (b) challenge, it is something I feel I should be able to do.

Last year was the first year I've had any onions from seed and it was very satisfying since it was such an horrible year.

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 13:37 »
a lot less chance of onion fly with sets,but sets do bolt, having said that we grow from seed.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

xx
my first ever seeds have grown

Started by diddy dave on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 01, 2008, 13:30
by compostqueen
xx
Has anyone grown Sweet Onions

Started by Greg40 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 14:24
by Trillium
xx
Maincrop onions hardly grown

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 10:24
by mumofstig
xx
onions grown from last summer

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 00:55
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 37 queries.