Debris netting - an antidote to carrot fly...

• 8 Replies

Growster...

Debris netting - an antidote to carrot fly...
« on: July 28, 2013, 17:24 »
This is the second year we've used the stuff, well tucked in at the edges, and totally covering the carrots. It's stretched out on a set of wire hoops, and the carrot leaves are nudging up under it, but the carrots have no sign of fly - yet...

I promise that I will report back if there are any affected, but it worked last year, and so, fingers crossed!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Debris netting - an antidote to carrot fly...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 19:18 »
It worked for me too last year Growster!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 19:37 »
If you Gurgle "carrot fly size" you will discover that the adult female is anything from the size of a small house-fly, a small fly, or 5mm (up to and probably beyond 8mm) - I sometimes wonder if anyone has actually seen one, never mind measure one (I haven't either, but I have lost all my carrots to the wee/not so wee little swines in the past!)

I guess that leaves it up to us to do the calculations as to mesh size  ::), but apart from the risk you take from lifting it to weed or whatever, it's worth remembering that they may be rubbish fliers but only government ministers caught fiddling their expenses can crawl better than they do, so don't leave any little gaps round the edges.  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

plum crumble

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 19:40 »
me too Growster! have had a fine crop - first year ever without the dreaded fly - my debris netting and hoops worked a treat.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 19:47 »
Mine were pegged down JayG!   ;) ;)

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 13:41 »
Perfect comparison, Jay, I have to admit too, that I keep turning round to see if they're about to gang up on me before I lift the net!

Glad it worked for you, too folks, the mesh is really very fine, and hard-wearing, so it copes with all sorts of knocks as well!

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 13:46 »
I think carrots grown in old compost - either home made or turned out used growbags-  is good for carrots rather than growing them in the allotment soil which is probably playing host to carrot fly larvae

I mix my carrot seed with spring onion seed and sow the two together. Cover with fleece or Enviromesh and harvest  :)

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 15:28 »
I don't know if the larvae over-winter, CQ, but I try and rotate as much as I can!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 16:53 »
The larvae do overwinter in the soil Growster, not just after carrots but parsnips, parsley celeriac and celery if your luck really has run out!   :ohmy:

Worth bearing in mind when it comes to rotation, as the thought of actually trapping them inside your purpose-built 5-star sheltered accommodation is not a happy one!   :nowink:

xx
Debris netting / carrot fly

Started by Alfie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 08:12
by Rangerkris
xx
Debris Netting and Carrot Fly

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 21:59
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Debris Netting as protection against Carrot Root Fly?

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 23:32
by jazzbyrd
xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 37 queries.