Naga Chilli Problem

• 10 Replies

Dai

• Experienced Member
Naga Chilli Problem
« on: July 27, 2013, 16:13 »
Hi all, I bought a young naga chilli plant from one of my allotment neighbors a few months ago and it seems to have a problem. The plant is producing flowers but when i tried to pollinate them with my little pinky it looks like the flowers are not producing any pollen?

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this plant destined to be compost fodder or will some epsom salts and tomato feed help atall?

Cheers!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Naga Chilli Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 17:45 »
If the plant is somewhere that insects can get to it, there's no need to hand pollinate.

jjbull

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 23:22 »
i just give the stem a tap (when i remember)some of the super hots are tempremental

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:51 »
Its on a bedroom windowsill, but even so the flowers dont seem to have any stamen to produce the pollen?

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:55 »
You can put your plant outside. We've had some lovely sunny weather, which is just great for chillies, plus the insects get a chance to do their thing. I leave mine out for a bit when we have heavy rain so it can wash the aphids off  :D  You can bring it back in at bed time  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:57 »
Its on a bedroom windowsill, but even so the flowers dont seem to have any stamen to produce the pollen?

A picture would help - as that doesn't seem likely  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 11:03 »
If you're new to growing chillies I'm surprised you've started off with a Naga. Hardly a beginner's chilli  :ohmy:
This can give you some serious heat in the wrong hands  :(

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 16:12 »
Hi, thanks for the replies everyone!
Ive only been growing chillies for two years but ive been trying to burn my face off with them for longer than that. I was kindly bought a bag of dried bhut jalokia (ghost chiilies or nagas) a while back that ive been cooking with so was really looking forward to trying them fresh.

Heres some pics for you (to me, on closer inspection it looks like theres only one stamen?!? but im no expert!)

im still having a problem seeing any pollen though when i tap it or rub my finger in the flower.

CYMERA_20130728_154749.jpg
CYMERA_20130728_155132.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 16:59 »
Look pretty much like the flowers on my cayenne peppers (I've grown others but never examined them that closely!)

The single yellow stalk is the pistil, at the top end of which is the slightly swollen tip (stigma) which collects the pollen.
Surrounding it are the stamens - mine are green but usually dusted yellow with very fine pollen grains (until they shed them of course.)

Tapping the plants from time to time is usually enough to dislodge the pollen enough for the stigma to catch some, although some varieties are possibly better at it than others, and low humidity can make the pollen too dry to stick to the stigma.

I've never had to mist mine with water, but it could help with some of the more awkward customers.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 17:26 »
I don't do anything to my chillies to make them fruit other than the usual light watering and feeding.  I do speak to them nicely and spray them with water to dislodge the ruddy aphids  :D  I think you're worrying too much  :tongue2:

I can't think how these are enjoyable. Just having your taste buds destroyed is not really good eating.  I like a chilli to enhance what I'm eating, not blow it out the water  :) 

Perhaps it's a man thing :unsure:

xx
Dorset Naga Chilli

Started by Sven on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 00:38
by Ras Skipper
xx
Naga Chilli - Will they overwinter?

Started by snails2go on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 11, 2011, 19:03
by sunshineband
xx
chilli problem

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 16:59
by mumofstig
xx
Problem with chilli

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 06:17
by Growster...

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 38 queries.