Ideas/Advice,please

• 8 Replies

chillifandave

Ideas/Advice,please
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:12 »
I have a garden fence 30 ft wide 10 ft high to which I'm going to trellis the entire,what i'm looking for is to add some colour to it,I would like something that will grow year on and produce flowers during spring/summer,the fence gets all day sunshine,I have a wisteria arch one end of the garden and the 2 side fences are covered in Ivy so I have plenty of green during the cold winter months,ideas/advice please.

BobE

Re: Ideas/Advice,please
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 08:25 »
Rambling Rose.
Clematus.
Cotoneaster (Also is a bee attractor)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:36 by BobE »

chillifandave

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 09:20 »
Thanks BobE,I have tried clematis a few times but the * keeps dying,nothing to do with my gardening skills honest :)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 10:40 »
during spring/summer,the fence gets all day sunshine,
Clematis prefer their roots in shade ,may do better if you plant something to cover the base of the plant  :)
I cook therefore I grow

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:55 »
One of the best all round climbers that is dead easy to grow is Trachelospermum jasminoides or Star Jasmine.  I'm forever recommending it to customers at work.

Its an evergreen and the leaves turn red in the winter when the cold hits them.  It flowers with white jasmine scented flowers end June/July time and to prune, you just tidy it up after flowering.  Likes sun or partial shade and not really fussy about soil, but doesn't like very wet places. 

Its pretty hardy and does OK in most of England and Wales.  If you live is a very cold area, it may not like it so much over the winter.

If you add your location to your profile it will help others give you relevant advice  ;)  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 13:50 »
The variegated Euonymus varieties "Green and Gold" and one with dark green and white leaves can grow either horizontally or vertically and are easy to prune to a specific width and height. As has been said, cotoneasters are also good but goggle which is the most suitable variety. I believe the horizontalis can be trained to grow up a fence. Another is Pyracantha which can be pruned as an espalier or into other flat shapes and has white flowers and red berries. Roses - either a climbing one or some shrub roses can be trained as climbers - get a repeat one for the best performance. If you do, you could try a spring-flowering Clematis alpina, or a late summer-flowering Clematis viticella as they are tough little things; plant them deep to avoid clematis wilt and provide shade for their roots with stones plus low-growing plants in front. To add other all-season colour, some upright conifers (green, gold, blue etc) might be nice. I know they don't flower, but they can change their colour depending on the season and, if carefully chosen, can complement whatever is growing near them. After this, I don't know your location or soil type, so see what other say on here.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 19:14 »
One of the best all round climbers that is dead easy to grow is Trachelospermum jasminoides or Star Jasmine.  I'm forever recommending it to customers at work.

Its an evergreen and the leaves turn red in the winter when the cold hits them.  It flowers with white jasmine scented flowers end June/July time and to prune, you just tidy it up after flowering.  Likes sun or partial shade and not really fussy about soil, but doesn't like very wet places. 

Its pretty hardy and does OK in most of England and Wales.  If you live is a very cold area, it may not like it so much over the winter.

If you add your location to your profile it will help others give you relevant advice  ;)  :)

Ooh advice wanted on this - we have 2 of these trying to get them over a gateway trellis - they don't seem to flower very well anymore.
Would be difficult to re-pot as they are in permanent beds.
What do I feed them on?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 20:16 »
Repotting will depend on the size of the plants.  If they are established it would be tricky to get a decent enough rootball to make repotting successful.

Are they growing much at all?  If not, sounds like they need a feed and you could use a general purpose liquid or granular feed now, then mulch the roots with farmyard manure or garden compost in the autumn.

If they are growing but are all leaves and no flowers, could be to do with light levels.  They will grow in fairly shaded spots, but need a decent amount of sun to flower prolifically.  The low light levels over the last couple of summers didn't help, but you should have seen a decent amount of flowering this year  :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 15:46 »
Way to big to re-pot, light should be ok. I'll mulch the roots as you suggest. Got a few flowers this year, but the plant isn't getting much taller.

Ben wants to get rid of them, but I'd like to give them another go.

xx
Any ideas?

Started by RJR_38 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 23, 2020, 23:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
Any ideas what this may be

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 23:48
by Ann
xx
Some ideas please

Started by Little Miss Muffet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 13:25
by WG.
clip
Any ideas please.

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post October 15, 2019, 17:40
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 37 queries.