Reliable cucumber variety for the cold greenhouse please

• 47 Replies

Jamboian

Re: Reliable cucumber variety for the cold greenhouse please
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 10:03 »
For you Mum! Asda compost, any pot I deem big enough, cheapish polycarbonate greenhouse, waterered daily through a small bottle in the pot if one of them doesn't get enough water the small fruit goes a bit iffy looking I cut them all off soak the compost and bingo it sends out more fruit.
I have to confess to overcrowding the greenhouse a bit tho 8)
IMG_20130726_094933.jpg
IMG_20130726_095027.jpg
IMG_20130726_095100.jpg

Springlands

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 10:26 »
This year I am growing Passandra and Tiffany which are both F1's.  I know received wisdom is not to mix two varieties but I thought that the Passandra was not going to germinate so started off the Tiffany so ended up with both - so far it has not caused any problems - both types of cukes taste lovely.

I started them off in small pots of good MP compost (a local brand McCanns) and once the first true leaves appeared transferred them to slightly larger pots. Finally they were planted out directly in the greenhouse soil which to which some pelleted chicken manure was added. They are trained up canes and loosely tied in. I water them using a watering can which has generally been left in the GH so that the water warms slightly being careful not to water the stems and leaves. The GH is in full sun for most of the day and I have the GH door open from early in the morning to late at night. They were slightly slow to start off when the weather was cool but over the last two/three weeks they have romped away.

At present I am getting more cucumbers than OH and I can eat so giving some away and today making pickles.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 10:38 »
I grow my cucumbers in a very large container in a cold greenhouse and have successfully grown:

Passandra
Ilas
Prima Top
Socrates
Mini Munch

They are all the mini type and grow to about 6-9 inches long. and I grow two.

As with all cucumbers they are best planted on a mound to keep their stems dry.  I don't take the tops out but train them along the roof.  I remove most of the side shoots, so not a standard cultivation method.  I mist the leaves whenever hot and leave the empty gravel trays full of water and wet the floor too.

Springlands

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 10:43 »
I have had to remove the side shoots otherwise I am in danger of never being seen again when I go into the GH.  :wacko:

lettice

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 10:52 »
Ive grown Burpless Hybrid for many years both in the greenhouse and outside.
The seeds always germinate well and I have a bumper crop of cucumbers that I am picking now in the greenhouse and the outside ones growing and flowering well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 10:56 »
So, Springlands takes care not to water the leaves of her Passandra, Aunty mists them with water on hot days, and both of you grow them successfully!   :wacko:

Clearly it's very robust and forgiving  ::), although I am starting to wonder whether it's something to do with the fact it's an all-female variety.  :unsure:

I think I might cry soon.  :(  :(  :(  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 11:05 »
Hi humidity is needed but the stem at the junction with the soil must stay dry.

Springlands

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 11:50 »
And I forgot to say that I damp down the staging and the path of the GH to increase the humidity.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 12:16 »
although I am starting to wonder whether it's something to do with the fact it's an all-female variety.  :unsure:

I think I might cry soon.  :(  :(  :(  ;)

I think I'll join you *sob*

Springlands

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 12:41 »
If it is any comfort I cry every time I look at my tomatoes.  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 12:47 »
Now those I can grow, although in a wet year they get some botrytis  :( so fingers crossed it stays dry  :D

jmc1949

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 13:18 »
MOS - I'm only a second year veggie grower so please forgive me if I'm doing this all wrong. I started off Outdoor Marketmore in 2 inch pots of D..bies seed compost on the kitchen windowsill, took almost a month for them to germinate. I planted 4 seeds and all eventually came up. I've plonked them 12 inch pots (2 plants in each) in J.A.B...ers multipurpose compost. I've not let the compost dry out but neither have I overwatered as I believe they can rot at the stem base, that said I water from the top of the plant pot.  I'm not training training upwards but have let them ramble dowards onto the bottom shelf in the greenhouse. I've had 6 cukes so far and more to come.  My greenhouse doesn't get the sun until after 1pm, so it never gets overly hot. I did the same last year and got the same results even in the poorer weather.

In other words I don't think I do anything special.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 15:54 »
My Mum always grows Beth Alpha F1. They are mini-cukes but are just the right size for 2 in a salad (or one as a snack  :tongue2:).  At around £2 for 40 seeds we have never had a problem with them and they are good croppers.  Put in to chit 14th May, potted up 16th May (100% germination), planted in greenhouse mid June and started cropping mid July.  Probably would have been earlier but for lack of water when we were on holiday. :-)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Auntiemogs

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 15:56 »
Let me know if you want to try them Mum as I've just bought another packet.   :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 15:57 »
fankoo  ;)

xx
Cucumber Variety

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 15:22
by SPUDMIESTER
xx
Cucumber Variety's

Started by Allotment Jon on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 22:38
by galen
xx
What's the best grape variety for northern Englands cold climate?

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 20:29
by infowarrior
xx
cucumber F1 "tasty" variety

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 09:16
by DD.

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 38 queries.