Reliable cucumber variety for the cold greenhouse please

• 47 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
I've tried quite a few varieties, both ordinary and f1 all female sorts, and not had much success, getting fed up with it, as some of them are relatively expensive for just a few seeds!
I wouldn't mind that if they did actually produce some fruit  ::)

Can anyone recommend a variety that can put up with cool weather at the start of the season, as I don't heat the greenhouse, although I do start the plants inside. I would really like a cuc that would just get on with it, without any drama.

So tell me your best variety, and if you grow it in pots or in the greenhouse border  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Reliable cucumber variety for the cold greenhouse please
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 17:37 »
I'm growing Louisa F1 in pots in the unheated greenhouse and they've gone rampant.

Also Cucino minis and they're growing in bunches like bananas!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 17:39 »
I'll have to make a list  :D

seaside

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 17:57 »
This year I have grown all female F1 Telepathy, which is widely available. Usually about £1.70 odd for 6 seeds.
I'm amazed how 'hardy' it has been, having made a few errors early on and them not liking it big time, including nearly freezing and being stood in standing water early on.
I currently have 2 in pots and 2 in the greenhouse border. The pots are only 12", rather undersized, and don't look as healthy as the border planted ones, probably a feed issue. The leaves are also a little too light green, BUT they're all continuing to produce like mad. Heaven knows what they would do if given better compost etc. I know the weather has been suitable, but I just can't keep up. 3 rather large cucumbers every 2 days now.
All in all, a great harvest, and a little more hardy than some I've tried.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 18:04 by seaside »

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 18:02 »
My Tiffany F1's are growing like triffids and I cannot keep up with the number of cucumbers that they are producing.

I also have a couple of Passandra (sp) which are a mini cuke and they are also producing well.

All of my plants were started off in the greenhouse in mid May when there were still some relatively cold days and survived well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 18:28 »
          ~           ~       
          ::)          ::)

::)

::)                 ::)
           ::)          ::)
                ::) ::)

I'm all eyes on this thread!

Outdoor Marketmore doing well with a few cukes filling out now but the greenhouse Passandra still only 60/40 alive/dead (up from 50/50 but still no cukes!)  :(     
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 18:28 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 21:52 »
My cold greenhouse is too hot!  I've got some spacemaker 80 doing well by the door already had a few off that and Konsa down the lottie in a pot against the shed producing 4/5 mini cues every few days.  Have a few other types around but slower- Akito was a pain to germinate, coming on now, but then so was a lot of things this year  :nowink:

It's my first year of getting a crop, having tried and given up with 'greenhouse' ones and going for ridge now, so please I did- much better taste than the supermarket ones, even the kids agree.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 22:08 »
I grow Cucino which has foliage which doesn't rampage all over the place like Passandra.  I picked two yesterday  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 22:45 »
I grow Cucino which has foliage which doesn't rampage all over the place like Passandra.  I picked two yesterday  :)

As I said, I grow them also, maybe I should have mentioned that they not gone rampant, unlike the Louisa. They are very productive. I did post a photo of my first cutting, which was of 4 cucumbers, but 2 were doubles. Looked quite interesting in a salad.

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 22:49 »
La Diva works well for me. All female so no bitter fruit and smooth skin for those who don't like spikes on their cucumbers.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 23:09 »
The best I've had in the last 3 years was one called Styx.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 08:50 »
La Diva works well for me. All female so no bitter fruit and smooth skin for those who don't like spikes on their cucumbers.

That's the variety I'm having all my problems with this year................. mostly male flowers  ::) So how are you growing yours?

Jamboian

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 09:15 »
We've grown Telepathy F1  for the last two years without any probs, growing them along with Bella F1 and Cucino this year, does anyone want a cucumber? Pop round we've got loads :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 09:37 »
My neighbour is what you might call a "non-technical" gardener (she doesn't even know which variety they are!)
She just plonks them in a growbag, trains them along a wire and picks the cukes (and gives me one when I peer over the hedge looking sorry for myself!)

Her greenhouse is a little more shaded than mine, although mine gets some shade too, but apart from that I can't see what the obvious differences are. Having failed with Passandra for two years on the trot I decided to only water from underneath the container and to cut down the overall amount, although this was probably thwarted when my other neighbour, in charge of watering for a week at the beginning of the month, cheerfully told me he only had to water twice because the first time he got a bit carried away and the floor of the greenhouse was a river!  :nowink:

If anyone who has successfully grown Passandra, or any other all-female F1 variety can explain EXACTLY how they grow theirs (light, shading, type of compost, watering, feeding, incantations in a foreign tongue) I'd love to hear - I don't think I'm doing anything seriously wrong but then it doesn't take much to upset cukes does it?  :wacko:

There's a little hope still left for this year's two Passandras, although the leaves still have a tendency to go very pale (white, eventually!) nearly as fast as it grows new ones (hence the 60/40 alive/dead.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:42 by JayG »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 09:42 »
I don't think I'm doing anything seriously wrong but then it doesn't take much to upset cukes does it? 

Indeed  :nowink: - I did ask people to say how they were growing them, cos I'm obviously doing something wrong as well   ::)

xx
Cucumber Variety

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 15:22
by SPUDMIESTER
xx
Cucumber Variety's

Started by Allotment Jon on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 22:38
by galen
xx
What's the best grape variety for northern Englands cold climate?

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 20:29
by infowarrior
xx
cucumber F1 "tasty" variety

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 09:16
by DD.

Page created in 0.757 seconds with 30 queries.