Harvesting all colour of currants.

• 5 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Harvesting all colour of currants.
« on: July 24, 2013, 13:12 »

Harvesting black currants by cutting back the branch and removing the currants at leisure.  Is this method also suitable for red and white currants,  i.e. pruning the bush at the time of harvesting?

Cheers and thanks in advance.   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Beetroot queen

Re: Harvesting all colour of currants.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 13:34 »
Someone on the plot told me about this but i just dont get it, i have berries on every branch so do i chop them all off, my bush would vanish as they go almost to the bottom of eah stem  :wacko:

simonwatson

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 13:43 »
Black currants fruit on wood one year old and older, so you get a few years of fruiting off each branch. Cutting them early seems wrong to me. I just strip them by pull my hand down the stalks at the centre of the bunches.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 17:18 »
What you really need is a berry scoop like THIS.

They should be available at many places, particularly online.

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 19:29 »
The correct method of harvesting Blackcurrant is to pick the ripe ones individually or a whole strig if they are all ripe as you would if you were picking for a show. You should only remove the branch if it is due to be removed as part of your winter prune or if the branch is too low to the ground. I would rarely remove a branch like this as the chances are there are more unripe currants than ripe ready for picking so you are thereby wasting a good proportion of your crop. The best fruit comes from wood produced in the previous summer so you need a number of branches for the shoots to grow, cutting them off just to harvest this years currants will reduce next years crop.
Do not cut branches on red and white currants as fruits form at the base of one year shoots and on spurs on older branches so you need a permanent structure from which you get your next crop. This is completely different from Blackcurrant where you need a succession of new wood and is why you prune out a good proportion of old wood from autumn onward.
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 23:11 »
I do the same as Klefti as part of the normal pruning regime. It's true that they don't all ripen at the same time but so far I've got almost 4kg of fruit and the unripe ones are left on the branches and thrown on the lawn for the birds.

I very much doubt there's a' correct' way to pick blackcurrants just as there's unlikely to be a 'correct' method to grow potatoes.

xx
Old red currants

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 09, 2014, 21:37
by Swing Swang
xx
saw fly on red currants

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2023, 11:24
by Grubbypaws
xx
Red Currants

Started by Sparkyrog on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2013, 17:14
by Hamani
xx
Red Currants

Started by rugbyman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 09:37
by SarahB

Page created in 0.649 seconds with 28 queries.