ph testing

• 5 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
ph testing
« on: July 23, 2013, 17:30 »
I'm beginning to think about tasks for the autumn - one thing I'm considering is taking a look at the soil acidity levels on my plot. The site has a lot of creeping buttercup, dock and nettle - I *think* the first two are indicators of soil acidity and maybe nettle is as well. So, does anyone have any advice about testing kits and testing methodology? I imagine they are all much of a muchness?

Cheers,
Balders

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: ph testing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 17:41 »
Whenever the subject of soil pH testing has been discussed in these forums the consensus is usually that the "pH probe meter" type tend to be very inaccurate and erratic - the chemical ones are quite cheap, albeit more faff, especially as you need to take a sample from more than one place to get a good "average" reading for your soil.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 17:55 »
chemical it is then. Thanks for the info. JayG

Cheers,
Balders

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 23:47 »
You will want to test to find the average of each area you may want to lime, maybe a bed or each part of your rotation for exanple.

Take a trowell and take lots of samples all over the chosen area going down the full trowell depth. Put these in a bucket and mix them together thoroughly. Test the mixed up soil several times. The results should all give the same answer, give or take a bit.

Overliming can be as bad as allowing soil to become acid.

BobE

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 00:18 »
Nettles mean rich soil.  Plant something, Plant many things. You'll know what works, don't waste money on gimmics for boys.  Just dig it over and plant it.
(Look around at the others maybe, then try to better them).

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 06:31 »
I bought a cheap one from e-bay and never got around to using it just as the plot was so over grown with weeds there had to some goodness in the soil - I will test for interest alone - my problem is I have a tub of Chicken poop pellets and BFB but if I use them I will just drive the foxes bonkers and they will rip my plot apart more than usual.

xx
Soil testing

Started by rsdavis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 12, 2014, 19:56
by Snoop
xx
soil testing

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 19:14
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Soil testing

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 08, 2018, 16:42
by rowlandwells
xx
ph testing kits

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2010, 15:04
by Salmo

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 37 queries.