Organic Water

• 19 Replies

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
Organic Water
« on: July 23, 2013, 16:07 »
I was reading about Blueberries which need ericacious  treatment and it advised not to use tap water because of the chemical content.  It set me thinking about water & the organic gardener.  Is it necessary to use only rainwater to be considered "organic" ?
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Organic Water
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 16:32 »
The extent to which you can get away with watering blueberries with tap water depends on how "hard" your water is and how successful you have been in providing a low pH soil for them to grow in.

Very hard water contains a lot of carbonates and bicarbonates (mostly of calcium and magnesium) which is not what you want to be adding to your blueberries if the soil pH is already too high. Having said that, if you've no choice it's still better than letting them dry out - they really don't like that.

As far as tap water and organic growing is concerned, I don't think it's in any way banned, although some organic growers will let it stand for a day before using to allow the chlorine to evaporate whenever feasible.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

seaside

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 19:19 »
There are a lot of lobbies these days vying for who controls the meaning of the word 'organic' as the word itself has a lot of cultural and pecuniary clout.
While I have most empathy for the Soil Association's outlook as opposed to the "industry" most of their reasoning adds up in my mind but the odd bit doesn't. In the end if we are personally concerned enough about chemical intrusion, we make our own mind up and take appropriate measures.
I would be very surprised indeed if the Soil Association had "banned" tap water, almost pointless and unworkable, and of course it would be hugely undemocratic as most folk don't have access to enough non-mains water.

As a practicing veggie, I rue the day back in the 70s when organic became the chatter at the dining table. It meant smart chatting folk had an easy place to hang their worthy hat rather than getting to grips with 'real' food politics and health.
Just my opinion, and not wishing to start a debate.. I've had enough debates to last a lifetime. Honest :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 19:21 by seaside »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 19:39 »
... and not wishing to start a debate.. I've had enough debates to last a lifetime. Honest :D

Well let's hope you haven't  ::)

You can't give your opinion then tell others not to give theirs  ::)

seaside

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 21:17 »
You can't give your opinion then tell others not to give theirs  ::)
Did I do that ? I don't think I did. I certainly didn't mean to.
Debate is a toing and froing and I just don't have much else to add to the subject other than my comments above really :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 21:26 »
As a practicing veggie, I rue the day back in the 70s when organic became the chatter at the dining table. It meant smart chatting folk had an easy place to hang their worthy hat rather than getting to grips with 'real' food politics and health.

your take on real food politics certainly need explaining, does vegetarianism have any relevance to the matter?
Don't you think that non-veggies talk about real and organic food?  :unsure:

seaside

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 22:07 »
Of course they do Mummy. I ate meat for many years and enjoyed it immensely at the time. I like to think my views and pride regarding food were as relevant then as they are now. I'm no better a person for it, I just feel it fits with my outlook. People are far too jumpy when the subject is brought up as if it's some sort of taboo. It's just another philosophy of eating. No big deal.
As it happens, I also used to be a fantastic smoker of tobacco. None better. I do think I am a better person for stopping that though. Interesting philosophical difference between the two that does perplex me at times.

I just found for me personally I didn't like the husbandry in meat production with all the unfolding horrors, and then the  inefficient method of protein production given the acreage required. But food is one of those things we in this country have the wealth and freedom to choose, and I wouldn't want to judge others in their eating habits like the media demonises folk these days for eating fast/fatty foods.

Only as you ask, the above is part of my food politics and my take on it goes right back to why allotments were first introduced after the theft of common land hundreds of years ago. I'm a big proponent of huge land reform, not that there's much chance of it in my lifetime, and hence offer anyone and everyone the ability to sustain themselves with food they grow with their own hands. It's a very common view I hold, which is widely disparaged by another common view, and so it's not really the sort of subject that goes anywhere online. It's for people to get on with in their life and live to their own satisfaction.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 22:10 by seaside »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 22:15 »
To get back on topic for the original poster:

I was reading about Blueberries which need ericacious  treatment and it advised not to use tap water because of the chemical content.  It set me thinking about water & the organic gardener.  Is it necessary to use only rainwater to be considered "organic" ?

So to sum up.

Blue berries prefer soft water and so rain water is best for them.  No "organic" gardening organisations have said that tap water is anti-organic.  They'd have big problems with cooking, drinking, bathing and laundry if the did  :lol:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 22:26 »
Bearing in mind I live on an organic Dairy Farm .I could say a lot on this topic ,but I will keep my mouth shut  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 22:29 »
Thank you Aunt Sally.  There was no "position" behind the question.  I am not veggie or organic, just a grower who knows he doesn't know it all.

seaside

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 22:34 »
Not quite summed up I feel.
As it happens we down here have one of the softest tap waters in the country, coming off the moors as it does, and considering all plants need nutrients up from the earth along with the water, I would imagine soft untreated well water filtered through favourable rocks would be more beneficial than  collected rain water.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 22:36 by seaside »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 22:52 »
Thank you Aunt Sally.  There was no "position" behind the question.  I am not veggie or organic, just a grower who knows he doesn't know it all.

I know, me dear but some others do ::)  (have a position on it I mean  ;) )

BobE

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 22:58 »
ericacious is simply no lime.  Tapwater is loaded with lime. It causes no end of scale.  Rainwater has no,or little lime. I think this answers the threads first question.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 23:00 »
Tapwater is loaded with lime. It causes no end of scale.

No, it depends where you live, Bob.  Some area's have hard water and some have soft )

Sparkyrog

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 23:04 »
Has not had to descale anything in 30 yrs  :)

xx
Organic or not organic the truth at last.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:29
by Trillium
xx
Organic vs Non-Organic growing

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 11:28
by Jaybees
xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
WATER shortage - tips for saving / harvesting water please

Started by Cr78 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:52
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 39 queries.