Incontinent Hen

• 3 Replies

MooBoo

Incontinent Hen
« on: July 22, 2013, 14:10 »
Hi :)  i`ve recently (2 weeks ago) aquired a hen from a friend who asked if i could take her as she was being pecked around her back end, bullied. + they have nowhere to separate her off. Her bum, all round her vent, + down as far as her breast bone is bald. The skin is sore, but not broken. I thought she had the runs, + that that was causing the problem, but she hasnt. She has clear liquid  running down from her vent, not continually, but often enough. I`ve wormed her with Flubenvet, + am bathing her to keep her clean. In all other ways she seems perfectly fine. She did prolapse once, but this was some time ago. She`s not laying at the moment. Please does anyone have any advice? she`s a lovely girl + i want to do what i can for her. Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Incontinent Hen
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 15:47 »
I think you might be better with advice from a poultry friendly vet.  I initially thought it could be the white from a broken egg but if she is no longer laying it won't be that.  You are doing the right thing bathing her as you don't want her to be open to fly strike. 

The redness on the bald areas is sometimes just the blood showing, like in blushing.  I have notice this in one of mine when she had a bald bottom after molting.  Sometimes it was bright red and then back to normal so if it is not sore that should be fine.  She will regrow her feathers on her next molt if they are not pecked out again when the new ones arrive.  It is best if she perches rather than sitting in a nest box as poo on her skin could cause burning, sores and infection.

I hope that she improves soon.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

MooBoo

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 16:40 »
Hi, thanks very much for that. I`ll pop her a perch in, as at the moment she`s on the floor. i`m changing her bedding daily, but you`re right, perching would be better :)

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:40 »
I would add salt to the bathing water - it can only help :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 28 queries.