Is it safe to rehome a nasty cockerel

• 11 Replies

Chicken sheila

Is it safe to rehome a nasty cockerel
« on: July 21, 2013, 13:45 »
 Hi, I'm wondering if anybody can help, I have 6 chickens & a cockerel which we have had from egg. They are now 2 yrs old. The cockerel has just got worse & worse & now the only person who can freely walk around our average sized garden is my husband. The kids & I are held hostage & cannot go into the garden at all without being attacked. He has drawn blood with us all except hubby of course. Hubby wants to despatch him but even though I now hate him I don't relish the idea of dispatch, feeling very responsible as we chose to bring him into the world etc etc. Are we likely to rehome such a bad tempered cockerel or do you think if he had more space he would chill out. He is a bantam! >:( :(
We have tried squirting him with water, I even tried wearing husbands giant wellies, every time he charged at me I tapped him with boot but still wouldn't back down!

Title modified
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 16:15 by ANHBUC »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Is it safe to rehome a nasty cockerel
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 16:14 »
How much space do your poultry have?

If he is bad tempered I doubt that he will be any different with other people.  If you do rehome him and are honest about his temper that would be fine as whoever takes him would know what they are taking on.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 16:58 »
personally I wouldn't - he is no good for breeding as this trait could be passed on and also if you are frightened off him then just think how other people would be (even more so if they have children).
To be quite honest he is best being culled.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Debbieta

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 17:04 »
Hi there,
If hubby is happy to dispatch, I would let him do it with thanks, as after you will all get your garden back and will feel a lot more relaxed and be able to enjoy the rest of the chickens.  I'm afraid you and your childrens enjoyment comes before any chicken!! :blush:
We had a cockerel that my husband got 'attached' to, but was agressive, surprisingly with him more than us, although we were all wary of him.  Yep he ended up in the pot and can enjoy the rest in a much more relaxed way :)
Good luck!
Regards,
Debbie

Chicken sheila

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 19:09 »
Our garden is about 100 by 50 feet & they have free range of it all, before the cockerel started being nasty they used to come into the kitchen as well!  :wub:

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 19:30 »
It can't be that he doesn't have enough room then.  As joyfull said it must be in his nature so your husband is right to suggest culling him.  As Debbie said, you can then start to enjoy your garden and hens again.   ;)

Chicken sheila

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 21:31 »
Thanks to all for you advice, I grudgingly accept that culling will probably befor the best. So hard though as much as we dislike him, my kids aged 8 & 10 are threatening to camp out in the garden so dad doesn't do the deed! Thanks again though.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 21:42 »
It is a difficult decision but they can inflict serious damage and you have to think of the safety of your family.  Perhaps them choosing another hen or two might soften the blow.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 23:53 »
We had an aggressive cockerel once - he was a beautiful bird and the only offspring of a much loved hen. However he attacked the missus and the daughter, they refused to go in the paddock area where he roamed and so had to go.

He appeared on the table on a Sunday - my daughter asked if it was Ed (for it was he) I replied it was - there was a moments silence then she said 'good!' and tucked in!

You won't miss him for very long.

My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

BobE

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 00:10 »
We had an aggressive cockerel once - he was a beautiful bird and the only offspring of a much loved hen. However he attacked the missus and the daughter, they refused to go in the paddock area where he roamed and so had to go.

He appeared on the table on a Sunday - my daughter asked if it was Ed (for it was he) I replied it was - there was a moments silence then she said 'good!' and tucked in!

You won't miss him for very long.

Brilliant

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 00:58 »
Most of the people I know who've had a nasty cockerel/rooster soon had him baked and on the table. It's the only place for them.

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 08:31 »
I have twice been in this situation and have had to concede defeat. Whilst your cockerel is like this it is very difficult to tend to the welfare of your hens as he won't let you near them and you cannot afford to take your eyes off him anyway. Sorry but it is for the best :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
nasty cockerel

Started by goldenchic on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 08:46
by Sassy
sad
Nasty Cockerel

Started by 10tuppence on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 20:57
by Cluckyclaire
xx
When to rehome cockerals

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 08:07
by Casey76
xx
cockerels to rehome

Started by chelle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 09:17
by KathyH

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 37 queries.