Quiet Ducks

• 35 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Quiet Ducks
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 22:34 »
Wouldn't a fox be able to just jump across to the island?  From what I have seen online a fox can swim SWIMMING FOX.

That is very probable, he won't jump because hes not sure of his landing.  If he swims the ducks just go the other way and get out.  When he gets out, they go back to the island.  Ive seen that happen but then he saw me and ran.  Ducks are very fast in water, foxes are slow.  This was all done by me years ago, with no real knowledge, not like today.  Foxes never touched them.  But you could build a run, it would be like a chicken run, they don't roost.  eggs would be simpler to gather.
Didn't that MP get into expenses trouble over a duck house on an island?

I thought you said "fox'es won't swim"!  :unsure:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 22:36 »
He Did!Sorry Bob but this is plain wrong  fox'es won't swim :ohmy:. I have seen them swim many times !!
I cook therefore I grow

ANHBUC

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 22:41 »
I thought you said "fox'es won't swim"! 

They can, as a dog can, but they don't like water. I think they will only swim to escape or to catch a meal.

Probably Debbie is best with a hutch and a run and a smaller pond.

Then an island wouldn't be much protection! 

ANHBUC

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 23:09 »
Islands on park lakes and the like are a far bigger scale and usually have a flock of birds that will alert each other to danger.  It is totally different to a 8 to 10 foot wide pond with a pair of birds on and island.

Ive asked Kate to pop in to give the true spec on this.  I think I might have been wrong.

I wouldn't worry about it, I learn something new every day.  I learnt that a Muscovy is not a true duck today.   :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 23:19 »
I think this image will make it quite clear for her.   :lol:
fox swimming.jpg

ANHBUC

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 23:28 »
Actually he could be walking in the shallows, his body is very high out of the water.

I don't think it is an isolated incident.
fox swimming 2.png
fox swimming 3.jpg

ANHBUC

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 23:32 »
There are lots of reports on them swimming, like THIS ONE

ANHBUC

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 23:35 »
Right, I think we need to get back on topic now as we have managed to highjack Helena's topic for long enough.   ;)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 23:41 »
It's certainly true that a lot of people use an island to protect ducks from foxes although I know that foxes can also swim. We have a large pond in our new house which has 2 small islands on it and we have wild mallards on it which have raised young this spring happily so presumably it does help. I suspect that in a rural environment our foxes are pretty nocturnal and not so keen at swimming in the dark!

The problem is that it needs to be a pretty big pond to offer this sort of protection. I can't really let all mine onto the pond as there is too many of them and they would destroy the wildlife that I am trying to encourage there! Ducks are also pretty stupid and I suspect that half the time they would sleep on the "mainland" and then be vulnerable  :unsure:

Ducks certainly love a big pond but are also happy with a paddling pool to wash in. The advantage of a paddling pool or smaller rigid pool is that you can empty it and refill it with fresh as they need.

Mine have a small pond in next doors field which they have cleared before it dried out and 2 paddling pool things that I fill every day for them.

As to quiet ducks, not many are!
I started with Campbells as they were recommended as quiet and they were incredibly noisy! Runners also seem a bit noisy. Calls are meant to be very noisy but never had them as they don't lay much and think they look a bit odd! Some of my bigger ducks are pretty quiet and I am a big fan of Saxony's which are beautiful, lay well and are very tasty! Ultimately have a look round and find something you like the sound of in terms of what you want. Then have a look at them.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 23:50 »
Much as I failed to find quiet ducks I loved all of mine and surprisingly all my neighbours loved the noise they make! When I moved they missed the ducks more than me!

Trillium

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 00:57 »
When I moved they missed the ducks more than me!

No, that's not possible!   ;) :D

Sassy

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 08:41 »
To go back to the Muscovies - they are supposed to be great characters and as they are not true ducks will roost in trees which keeps them out of Mr fox's way! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

kebi

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 10:44 »
the quietest ducks are boys, which many end up being culled as we can't find homes for them, so a group of boys would be great if you wanted to just enjoy having ducks. also ducks that can't fly naturally is a good option as no wing clipping needed.
 if so can mine be first on the list please  :D
my little farm :) 13hens, 8 runner ducks,2 bibbed call ducks, lots of quail cpq and japanese, 2 dogs, 1 very old cat and fish indoor and out.

Helenaj

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 15:58 »
the quietest ducks are boys, which many end up being culled as we can't find homes for them, so a group of boys would be great if you wanted to just enjoy having ducks. also ducks that can't fly naturally is a good option as no wing clipping needed.
 if so can mine be first on the list please  :D

You are a little too far away from me and at the moment I have no pond, house or enclosure to put them in! I also want eggs, so no boys unfortunately.
 I'm fencing off a very large run for them and will be making it very foxproof and goshawk proof as we have a neighbour down the valley who has lost a couple to a breeding pair of goshawks (they have also taken over 100 of his hens as well). I will be digging a very large pond and slabbing around it - the water will be renewed every day as there is one natural spring running through it and a small stream that can be diverted via it if I think that the water quality is not good enough. I need to get all of this done and then go looking for ducks, so you have all given me lots to think about.  :D

kebi

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 16:33 »
good luck with your adventure, I know I would love to be doing the same myself  :D

xx
Help! - Very quiet hen

Started by birds in a basket on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 09:23
by birds in a basket
xx
quiet hen ...help please

Started by andy and deb on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 13:17
by andy and deb
xx
quiet puffed up hen

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 16:11
by ChristyRose
xx
quiet breeds?

Started by freshers on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 22:18
by freshers

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 36 queries.