What will you grow again next season?

• 13 Replies

Stree

What will you grow again next season?
« on: July 20, 2013, 14:41 »
Mainly concerning plants you tried for the first time this year, that you are happy to grow again.
My definite is Phlox. Never tried it before but gave it a go in the greenhouse.
I probably started it too early, with it being my first year with a heated propagator and well before it was warm enough to plant them out  they had gone leggy and flopped over.
I ceased paying attention to them and was at the point of throwing them away but instead just put the seed tray they were in outside.
The survived and thrived, and when I saw the first blooms I quickly did what I couls to keep them going.
Put them in the containers with surfinias and lobelia, pansy etc and some in a couple of pots just by themselves.
They are brilliant, still leggy and floppy but just about hold their own in a bunch, gorgeous multi coloured blooms that just keep coming and putting on a show equal to anything else. No deadheading needed at all yet either, just more and more blooms appearing.
They are a definite for me for every year now.
I will see if I can  get a pic or two.

PS I am usually hopeless with containers and baskets, but have had better luck this year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What will you grow again next season?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 14:57 »
I bought one plant of this campanula, and it is flowering like mad - will have to propogate it, to make more  ;)

http://www.plugplants4u.org/240-campanula-summertime-blues/

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 15:31 »
Errmmm i am not sure but i am going to use the winter to try some new greens etc.

I am getting braver at trying new stuff and so far we are having a very good year with stuff so i am keen to strike while the iron is hot.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 14:16 »
Moss Rose (a.k.a. Portulaca). Rather late to come into flower, but thrive on very dry conditions, neglect and dislike being fed. For once, the winds can blow and dry out my hanging baskets and trought, but - they won't mind a bit!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Stree

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 17:11 »
Actually that is another of mine that qualifies: Moss Rose. The flowers are very pretty are they not? yes, its a late bloomer but more than makes up for this with its hardiness. Another definite.
Thanks for reminding me GG.

Totty

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 22:22 »
Love lies bleeding has proved an excellent gap filler and is gettin better and better.
Also shallots from seed, variety, Zebrune.

Totty

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 14:24 »
Sweet corn and dwarf French beans in my greenhouse, having tried it last year with great success, this year's corn plants are nearly touching the top of the g'house and I tap their stalks with a cane every day to aid pollination. The beans go crazy in there and have just harvested masses from just two plants - I have three more junior ones for cropping later on.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 14:45 »
Just to point out that this thread is about garden plants/flowers.............before we get more vegetable posts  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 13:19 »
Just to point out that this thread is about garden plants/flowers.............before we get more vegetable posts  ;)
Ah - my third mistake in two days - just got carried away (or I should be) - thanks for your gentle wrist slap!  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 13:21 »
It wasn't just you  :nowink:   :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 13:24 »
It wasn't just you  :nowink:   :lol:

I think i was the one to go off on a plant fiesta but never mind, its the way my brain works so i blame MOTHER :tongue2: life doest always stay on the correct path which is why we have MOS to slap our legs  ;)

Stree

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 12:11 »
Actually, I don`t mind at all if a few veg find their way into this category, as long as the veg is included along with flowers, shrubs  etc.
 I have had another reminder as well I see. Love Lies Bleeding.......I got these seeds free and thought Hmmmmmmmm put these at 3 foot along side the white cosmos and the tall nicotianas...........
Turns out the nicotianas are dwarf and the LLB planted amongst the cosmos has not got more than 4 " by the end of July. BUT the LLB in pots and containers is doing marvellously! about 18" high ,Looks really bonny in amongst the pansies surfinias, lobelia,phlox and asparagus peas , which incidentally are still flowering for some reason, very pleased about that.
See? That was my sneak mention of Asparagus peas, which I will grow again, just for containers.
And the Amaranthus (LLB) that I mentioned I was reminded of.
All in all quite a few good new ones discovered this year. I do enjoy that part of gardening.
Time for some more pics as well I think.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 15:05 »
Roses!  (see other thread).

Lots more sunflowers, mine are in full flower now and I hadn't realised just how much the bees love them.  I can't look at them without smiling.  Also, I hadn't bothered with pot marigolds or African marigolds before this year and they are looking great too, and have produced a fab display for very little effort, so many more of those next year.

My violas that I only grew because I got a free packet of seeds on the front of a magazine have been a real surprise too, they have been in flower for weeks now and look great.  Will grow them again.

Sadly, I won't be planting any more lilies, I'm fed up of fighting a losing battle with lily beetles.  A real shame because I adore lilies  :(
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 15:06 by GYO Girl »
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Stree

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 15:55 »
Who is this Lily Beetles? She should be reported.

xx
Weird season

Started by Offwego on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post October 21, 2023, 18:36
by Offwego
xx
happy Christmas to all my growing friends lets hope for another great season

Started by ricky on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post December 26, 2014, 12:04
by snowdrops
xx
Will anything grow?

Started by lisajpickering on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 16:14
by Trillium
xx
Will it re-grow

Started by moose on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2019, 15:55
by jezza

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 37 queries.