Transplant tiny plants?

• 3 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
Transplant tiny plants?
« on: July 20, 2013, 12:48 »
Afternoon all. This may seem a daft question, but I have been clearing some ground which is going to be seeded for a new lawn and have come across lots of differing pretty little flowering plants. Rather than just hoik them out, could I pot them up to move to another part of the garden? Some look like miniature forget me nots, others have tiny salmon coloured flowers, other have tiny mauve flowers like pansies. They are all on a miniature scale. Is it worth saving them? Chances are they may pop up in the lawn next year, and we do want to sow a section of wild flowers on a slope in the lawn, so am I creating work where I don't need to? It seems such a shame not to save them. Tax for any thoughts and advice.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:49 by rookie1 »

Stree

Re: Transplant tiny plants?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 14:30 »
I understand your reluctance. I think those minature gems fascinating, and yes, do try transplanting them. I would try to lift them with a good lump of the soil they are growing in and try to recreste the conditions they are growing in with regards light, shade etc. Maybe make a small alpine garden or rockery just for them.
The best example of miniturised flowers I ever saw was on the meadows in the rolling hills above Kettlewell in Yorkshire.
It was given over to sheep grazing and the flowers were growing at just below the height of the cropped grass. There was every colour you could imagine and it was like a carpet of gems.
The scent when the sun shone was carried on a very soft breeze and it was beyond compare.
Good luck with transplanting them.

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:37 »
thanks Stree.... I'll certainly give transplantation a go. Your description of the hills above Kettlewell sounds absolutely charming... Ain't nature wonderful?! :)

maloneranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 23:09 »
This all sounds very rustic and romantic, and there's nothing wrong with that  ;)

However, these sound like weeds to me - perhaps speedwell among them?

But, of course, a weed is just a plant growing in the wrong place  :D

xx
When shall be the best time to transplant a Contorted Willow?

Started by Missie on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 26, 2010, 11:15
by tode
clip
Tiny bee

Started by Aunt Sally on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2024, 20:31
by Yorkie
xx
A tiny Clematis

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 14:12
by Hey Jude
xx
Teeny tiny daff's

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2020, 13:47
by basketcase

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 36 queries.