Sprouter for salad sprouts

• 10 Replies

Butterhead

Sprouter for salad sprouts
« on: July 19, 2013, 14:34 »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here uses a tiered sprouter for sprouting seeds such as alfalfa, beansprouts, etc. for use in stir-frying, in salads or on sandwiches.
If you do, which sprouter would you recommend, and which sprouts would you recommend?

Butterhead.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sprouter for salad sprouts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 17:36 »
I've got one from T&M a few years back.  They also sell sprouting seeds (might be cheaper from health food shops  ;) ) and I've tried most of them.

As long as you rinse them as directed they are all fairly tasty.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

seaside

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 19:13 »
I have used one for donkey's ears, and any old tiered one will do, the cheaper the better, as long as it has one opaque one for light purposes.
Alfalfa is one I still grow, who remembers Tesco billing them in the 1980s as the new "super food"  :D ( they don't sell it any more where I am ).
I would be careful with the mixed seed packs you can get from some shops. There are some seeds that can go very mouldy very quickly in the mix. Can't remember which seed in particular it was, maybe one of the brassicas.
Mung beans do well obviously, but the real cracker for me these days is sprouting my chick peas. Fantastic, take no longer really than alfalfa, and can then be eaten raw for a bit of crunch in salad ( I don't think they suit sandwiches) or added to stir fries etc. Best eaten before any greenery starts to develop on the shoots. Needs more rinsing than alfalfa.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 19:21 by seaside »

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 19:35 »
I use the Biosnacky version. a few people commented on Ebay that they are fiddly. they are a bit but when you've had an allotment for years nothing will beat you. i bought sprouting seeds form B&M (mixed), alfalfa, sprouting red cabbage, mung, cress from Lidl, daikon seed etc. it was great through the winter when we had fresh sprouts constantly ( i stagger the 3 tiers). it cost around £17.50 with free p&p the. we like it  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 21:19 »
I am  a cheapskate I use a large glass jar and some butter muslin :wub:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 21:22 »
I am  a cheapskate I use a large glass jar and some butter muslin :wub:

I always have done too Mrs B.

It's not rocket science is it  ::)

seaside

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 21:50 »
My sprouting days started way back when we had a wholefood veggie cafe. You would be amazed at how many jars a catering kitchen can amass, and the health authorities do like to see some sort of filing system and  "tools made for the job".

And in one way I agree with them. Over the years, I have tried to encourage so many people to stick with sprouting, season in, season out. Sadly most give up at the first bad batch or end of the first Summer if they don't use central heating. People don't rinse properly, don't clean containers properly, and then lose heart, distrust the "homespun" methodology, visualise what they think are rank jamjars, and lose trust in sprouting.
A made for the job system is user friendly and gives novices confidence. Just my observation. It's how many people are these days.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 22:08 »
It's the same with everything.  There is no substitute to learning how to do something correctly and understanding what mistakes there are that you could make.  Sowing seeds or making jam is no different - we could buy plug plants and get jam from a shop but we don't we do it ourselves.

A large pickle jar, a piece of old net curtain and an elastic band kept my children in bean sprouts for years.

Ema

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 23:45 »
I've always just thrown a handful of mung beans in a sandwich box, covered them with just enough water and put the lid on loosely to keep the flies off

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 08:38 »
I always used to use a large old coffee jar and mung beans were my preferred choice - I chucked them in the airing cupboard with the lid only loosely screwed on, and then tried to remember a) not to completely forget about them  ::) and b) rinse them with clean water every day or so.

The airing cupboard isn't necessary at this time of year (and the heating isn't on anyway) but it does keep them in the dark which makes sure the sprouts don't go green.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

richie3846

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 20:58 »
I use the biosnacky glass jars. They are like jam jars with a porous lid that allows the jar to sit on an angle to drain the water. Take the lid off twice a day to rinse, replace lid, tip upside down to drain, place on a saucer to catch the drips. Easy. I sprout sunflower seeds, as these are just so so simple to germinate  :wub: Slightly off topic, you can spout sunflower seeds in a jar, after two days sow thinly onto an inch of compost in a shallow tray on a windowsill. Water regularly and harvest when around 4 inches tall. Cut the shoot down to the base and use em in salads. They are crisp, and have a faintly nutty taste. Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicous! (and very nutritious)

xx
salad bed

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 21:38
by clairebeau
xx
Cut and come salad

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 09:10
by compostqueen
xx
Corn salad?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 19:09
by mumofstig
xx
Cut and come again salad leaves

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 21:30
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 29 queries.