chicks to shed run?!?!?!

• 14 Replies

Debbieta

chicks to shed run?!?!?!
« on: July 18, 2013, 19:36 »
Hi guys,
Advice please,  given this weather we're having, how soon would you think I could put my four legbar girls out into my chicken shed (in a separate area to main area).  They are now four weeks old feathering up nicely, but are in a large cardboard box in the spare bedroom.  However, OH is beginning to moan about livestock smell upstairs, and they are all but off heated lamp.  Any thoughts please.
Debbie

splash101

Re: chicks to shed run?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 20:49 »
I've got legbars just over 4 weeks too.

Since we have started to have the warm weather (more importantly, the warm nights) i've put them out in the small coop on their own.
To start with they were just kept in the indoor part with plenty of ventilation but this week has been so hot i've opened the pop hole so they can go down into the run. They have (touchwood) been going back in on their own about 9pm.

They are well feathered though.

I wouldnt have put them out so soon but the weather has helped. Just keep an eye on the night time temp's.
I dont know if yours being a shed would make a difference as mine are in a small coop.

BobE

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 20:53 »
I found the cheeping insane, I had to move them. But mine were ducklings, they never shut up.  :blink:

Debbieta

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 21:31 »
Hi guys,
thanks for replies.
I have been hoping that others had bitten the bullet with the weather.
Ours are pretty vocal and are now 'pecking' the box slowly to bits. 
Luckily it looks like they're not eating it as there is lot of bits on the floor.
But they are also 'dusting' the carpet with bits through the slits I put in the box, which
is also driving OH mad!
As I have totally cleaned out the internal run area and disinfected with poultry shield, I think
I will take the chance and put them out tomorrow (earn some browny points!) and keep and
eye on them. Luckily they shed has windows and door on the west side so will be well ventilated
but also warm well into the evening.  Their area is also boarded so shouldn't be drafty.
They just look to closes up in their box now!
Debbie

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 22:54 »
They should be fine in this hot weather.  My week old quail don't need heat during the day and only have heat on a night in a shed.  I do have the door open for ventilation during the day as it is so hot.

My chicks with broodies 4 weeks and 5 weeks old are out all the time and haven't been sheltering under Mum for a couple of weeks.  Take care if the weather changes though as they will catch a chill if they are not fully feathered.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Debbieta

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:27 »
Hi guys,
I know there are strict rules and boundaries!
But....
would I be allowed to ask if anyone 'within reason' if they have an excess of chicks around the 4/5week old age?
I don't want to put my foot in it with those who moderate as they do a great job, keeping everyone on the straight and narrow.
Thanks in anticipation
Debbie

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 13:23 »
Hi guys,
I know there are strict rules and boundaries!
But....
would I be allowed to ask if anyone 'within reason' if they have an excess of chicks around the 4/5week old age?
I don't want to put my foot in it with those who moderate as they do a great job, keeping everyone on the straight and narrow.
Thanks in anticipation
Debbie

Hi Debbie,
You can put a request on the Poultry Swap Shop section and offer to swap something for them or give them a good home for free.  There is absolutely no selling on the site.   ;)

Debbieta

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 13:36 »
Thanks,
I did just re post under new heading as not sure if anyone would pick it up on this link.
Will now sort.
Many thanks
Debbie

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 14:14 »
No problems, I hope you get what you are looking for.   :)

I have removed your thread from Hen House as you now have it in Poultry Swap Shop.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 14:17 by ANHBUC »

Debbieta

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 17:19 »
Hi,
Just to say my 4 week old chicks went to the shed yesterday and are loving the extra room and freedom.
They can now eat from my hand with ease, as I can sit in the interal run with them, rather than a hand appearing over the top of a box :lol: :lol: :lol:
They seem a lot more sociable and relaxed, so here's to the good weather :D
Thanks for replies, much appreciated.
Debbie

BobE

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 17:21 »
Can you get a pic Deb?

Debbieta

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 17:49 »
Hi
Will try, hopefully tomorrow will get some put on here :D :D.
I know I'm biased, but they're sooo cute.
I've also acquire (bought) 11 2 week old chicks (5 white leghorn, 5 barvelder and a Vorwerk), so will try
to get photos of them too.  I have been promised that any boys will get swapped, but hope I have got a reasonable girl/boy selection.  Can any advise when you begin to tell sex on these breeds as I haven't had these ones before.
Ta,
Debbie

Debbieta

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 17:54 »
Hi guys,
Again could you advise!
If I am adding photos of chicks am I right in thinking that I would post of Chicken Chat rather than Hen House?
I'll get the hang of this eventually.
regards,
Debbie

BobE

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 18:13 »
Just stick them in this thread Debs.
Unless you want to make a photo gallery

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 18:34 »
Just stick them in this thread Debs.
Unless you want to make a photo gallery

Generally chicken pics go in chicken chat and problems or advice come belong in the hen house. There is also the option of starting a photo gallery  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:52 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 37 queries.