• 32 Replies

Trillium

Re: Drying garlic
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 15:22 »
 :D Ain't that the truth!

Ema

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 15:36 »
Have mine a good brush today's l also found 2 new scapes, these must be the only 2 bulbs I didn't cut scapes off about 8 weeks ago

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 22:30 »
First year growing garlic......what are 'scapes'.?
TA
Mrswashi

Trillium

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 03:52 »
Scapes is the name for the flowering stem that pops out mid-season. Garlic will always want to make 'seeds' (actually little bulbs) that resemble a flowerhead, but it's at the expense of the root bulb. Soon as you see the seedhead starting, you snap it off and use it in stir fries or whatever as it's edible.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 07:57 »
Does anyone have a picture of the scapes. We had garlic a few years ago that developed what looked like second bulbs half way up the stem. I was told to take them out and burn them by one of the old boys  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 08:21 »
A quick Google found some  ;)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 09:56 »
Does anyone have a picture of the scapes. We had garlic a few years ago that developed what looked like second bulbs half way up the stem. I was told to take them out and burn them by one of the old boys  ::)

Nooooooooooo.... eat them. You often get this secondary bulb one or two that do this..  They are just a nature throwback or deformity of a scape or bulbills growing in the stem. They are small garlic cloves so dont burn them.. These "old codgers" really come up with some mad advice  :blink:  :blink:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:25 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 10:16 »
Best to pick them young, both for succulence and flavour, and to minimise the amount of energy the plant has to divert away from the bulb to produce them.

My hardneck garlic always produce scapes on nearly every plant every year - I've eaten them twice already this week stir-fried with home-grown sugarsnap peas and French beans (delicious!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gavinjconway

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 10:26 »
I've just learned from Uncle Google that only the hardneck's produce scapes.... now I know the difference in my types I've grown.  :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 10:42 »
Thats not what we had, we had straight stems with what looked like cloves developing half way up. They were dry and papery ( if that makes sense) they looked just like a second dry bulb on the middle of the stick.  :wacko: i havent grown garlic since as the old boys said it was terrible and we should never grow on that patch again.

Trillium

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 15:24 »
I've just learned from Uncle Google that only the hardneck's produce scapes.... now I know the difference in my types I've grown.  :D

That's almost true. If softnecks are stressed by weather, as is happening now, they'll follow natural instincts and produce seed/scapes according to the Herb Society of America.

gavinjconway

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 15:44 »
Thanks a lot Trilly.... Nothing is ever simple is it!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 16:16 »
Thats not what we had, we had straight stems with what looked like cloves developing half way up. They were dry and papery ( if that makes sense) they looked just like a second dry bulb on the middle of the stick.  :wacko: i havent grown garlic since as the old boys said it was terrible and we should never grow on that patch again.

Pic and useful link a few posts down

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107633.msg1210120#msg1210120

Beetroot queen

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 16:57 »
MOS i can see the pic but where was the link further down. Will check it out in your new post. That pic is not what was up with ours  ;)

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 20:13 »
My drying garlic is likely to do the shuffle this week, was drying on the bench, then moved to the shed Sat night due to threat of damp, now next week meant to thunder so think to the spare room on a washing airer it will be, and it will stay there then not planning to move it again!

xx
Drying garlic...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 22, 2014, 05:48
by Growster...
xx
DRYING GARLIC

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 21:32
by Elcie
xx
Drying Onions and Garlic in the Greenhouse

Started by Markjp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:11
by gavinjconway
xx
Garlic leaves covered in rust -- cut or leave when drying?

Started by over-grown on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 16:43
by Greengirl

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 38 queries.