Round Courgettes

• 14 Replies

Eblana

Round Courgettes
« on: July 17, 2013, 21:54 »
Like a lot more when I was planting my seeds I put the label in the first pots only and then got a bit mixed up!  I did have a pot that said round courgettes on the label and it is producing round fruits alright but they are a yellow/cream color.  Does anyone know if round courgettes start off yellow/cream and turn green later or have I mixed it up with something else - Pumpkin maybe?

Totty

Re: Round Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 22:02 »
I'm growing a variety of courgette called Floridor. It produces lots of round yellow fruits.

Totty

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 22:03 »
Someone gave us one a few years ago, they were creamy yellow, didnt like them though. I am a traditional girl.

Remind me why i have sowed rainbow carrots lol  :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 22:17 »
I think round ones come in both colours Eblana but the green ones I grew last year started off green...  I have had some of my winter squash starting off a yellowy colour. If you can tell us what you're growing maybe we can work it out?

Mags  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 22:28 »
Auntie,

I have Patty Pan Squash, Jack O Lantern Pumpkin, Giant Pumpkin and ordinary Courgettes and the Round Courgettes, I think it either has to be the round courgette or one of the pumpkins.

Chrysalis

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 22:34 »
My round courgettes are pale green and delicious!  Wasn't expecting much TBH, but pleasantly surprised how good they are.  From Lidl! :)

Hope your courgettes are as tasty  :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 22:56 »
Auntie,

I have Patty Pan Squash, Jack O Lantern Pumpkin, Giant Pumpkin and ordinary Courgettes and the Round Courgettes, I think it either has to be the round courgette or one of the pumpkins.
If it's either of the pumpkins, I'm presuming it will have a trailing habit (?), so if it looks like a bush type and the fruit  is round then you can probably narrow it down to patty pan or round courgette (possibly yellow?).  And when I grew Patty Pans last year, they deffo had a scalloped edge, even when tiny.... If, however, it's going all over the place, I would think it's a pumpkin.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 23:20 »
My round courgettes (tondo di piacenza) started green and finished green except where it had been on the ground was a bit yellow.
Anne

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:39 »
I have never had a courgette change colour, and as Elbana says patty pan are definitely scalloped right from the start. Can you tell from the skin, courgette skin always seems far more delicate to me than pumpkin, even as babies. You will soon know by how fast it grows, if you blink and find something like a giant marrow when you open your eyes it is a courgette! I am having a similar problem, I grew many varities all carefully labelled etc, then all that dreadful weather we had meant some died or got moved and I was unable to identify anything by the time that it came to planting out! So I am being surprised every day. I think as they get bigger I can tell by the leaves, someone may correct me on this, but from my observations in the past pumpkin leaves are a bit more pointy than courgette leaves, difficult to describe but I think there is a slight difference. :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 14:04 »
I'm growing a variety of courgette called Floridor. It produces lots of round yellow fruits.

Totty

I'm a floridor man too. found these to be the best for our liking.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 14:27 »
Mmmm never tried the yellow ones.  I'm afraid Brian is a bit of a traditionalist, but I did like the round courgettes I grew the other year.  Apart from when I left them for a few days and one ended up the size of a football!  :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 14:30 »
Mmmm never tried the yellow ones.  I'm afraid Brian is a bit of a traditionalist, but I did like the round courgettes I grew the other year.  Apart from when I left them for a few days and one ended up the size of a football!  :lol:

If you ever get bored with brian send him down here. He loves beetroot and traditional courgettes i just love him already  :wub:

Eblana

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 20:02 »
I think it is one of the pumpkins it is sprawling everywhere - hope it is the Atlantic Giant as the fruit is already the size of a tennis ball!!  I went to Chelsea earlier I came home with as many labels and pens as I could carry so I swear I will never have this problem again.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 21:33 »

If you ever get bored with brian send him down here. He loves beetroot and traditional courgettes i just love him already  :wub:

You can have him BQ!   I think you would soon send him back!   :lol: :lol:

BobE

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 21:41 »

You can have him BQ!   I think you would soon send him back!   :lol: :lol:

Men are not mere object to be passed about.  Remember he has feelings.

xx
Little round courgettes

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 13:28
by Endymion
xx
Round courgettes

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 03, 2016, 20:55
by Tenhens
xx
Round up

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 19:02
by teflon
xx
round up etc

Started by Sapphire on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 14:21
by Sapphire

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 36 queries.