can i control where my squashes ramble?

• 25 Replies

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
can i control where my squashes ramble?
« on: July 17, 2013, 13:15 »
im growing squash (sweet dumpling) for the first time, and i wondered how far they would grow along the ground.  i was planning on putting my leeks on the opposite side ( the squash being on the other side).
will the leeks be totally dominated by the squash this summer? or can i control where they grow to if you see what i mean

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: can i control where my squashes ramble?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 13:43 »
Yes, just put in some wooden pegs on either side to hold the stems where you want them to be - they can even be trained in a circle round and round themselves - but I like mine a bit more free-form than that  :D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 14:32 by mumofstig »

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 13:46 »
You can try  :)  They are strong growers though and might refuse to go where you want them.  You can mark the location of the stem of the plant with a cane to indicate where you should be watering. Once they get going it will be hard to find it  :)  You can try and form a circle around the cane with the growing squash, but don't force it into too tight a circle as you don't want to crack or break the stem as that would be a disaster

Good luck  :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 14:21 »
I just pick mine up and throw them back into position i am really rough with mine but they need to learn their place  :lol:

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 14:36 »
I'm with BQ  :D but I never thought of the circle idea! :unsure:

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 15:00 »
Me too I just heaved mine out if the way I also put a soaker hose underneath them so I can water them as close to the base without getting on the leaves

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 15:24 »
The watering problem can be solved like this. This is what I do with mine and my toms and pumpkins. When I plant them out I plant an upside down  plastic milk / squash container beside them. The bottom has to be cut off obviously!!!! This way the water goes directly to the root and saves me loads of time with the watering can. Also, I don't lose the centre of my plant when it goes runabout!!! :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 15:39 »
Or fr watering pick up a black florists bucket and plant that at the side with one or two holes in the bottom. I have done this in my runner bean frame this year.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 15:50 »
I just pick mine up and throw them back into position i am really rough with mine but they need to learn their place  :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
well i like that idea, so far ive hardly dare touch them, but they are getting abit triffid like now, so ill start being firm with them from now on :mad:.  what sort of a gap shall i leave between the leeks and the squash  then :unsure:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 15:52 »
:lol: :lol: :lol:
well i like that idea, so far ive hardly dare touch them, but they are getting abit triffid like now, so ill start being firm with them from now on :mad:.  what sort of a gap shall i leave between the leeks and the squash  then :unsure:

I would just leave a pathway if possible while you keep those squash in line. Maybe put a row of canes down too poking upwards so you know the line they cant cross

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 17:42 »
Squash will always take up far more room than you think so keep them well away from the leeks. At first the thin stem and small leaves look as though they will not matter. Days later the leaves are a foot across and taking over.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 18:08 »
thanks salmo, ill bear that in mind ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 18:19 »
I use a stick to mark where the roots are for watering purposes, and short sticks where I need the stem to change direction works for me (and yes Salmo, the plan can go wrong in a good growing season if you don't leave enough clearance!)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

seaside

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 18:35 »
I have only grown butternuts squash-wise, for a couple of years now with only minor successes. This year looks like it will be a bumper at my plot if disease doesn't intervene.
My question is .... much advice would be to only grow, say, 5 fruits to each plant. So surely, once 5 fruits are set and underway, would it not be a good idea to prune back any new growth and meandering ? I would love to grow 10 to a plant if I can  :)

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 18:35 »
Re: watering I did put in a large white pipe to water the squashes with but it is now lost under the triffids and I found the 6m soaker hoses in my local 99p shop they are a bargain I've got one in my spuds too  :lol:

xx
Outdoor cucumbers..Ramble or Frame?

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 19:11
by compostqueen
xx
Squashes

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2006, 15:06
by wellingtons
xx
Squashes

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 19:55
by mumofstig
xx
squashes

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 20:27
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 39 queries.