Feel a bit naive...

• 33 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Feel a bit naive...
« on: July 16, 2013, 20:47 »
I thought I had a good grasp of where my food comes from, how it grows etc but I have go admit to being surprised today when lookkingnat my sweetcorn.

I had always assumed it grew at the top of the stalk and over the past few days I had seen some bobbly bits growing at the top which I had assumed were going to be the corn. HOWEVER, it seems that they actually grow halfway down the stalk as the appearance of tassels today showed me... Have to say I feel rather silly! Add to the fact I thought onions grew underground (not on top) before this year and I am shocked at my own lack of knowledge

Were there any fruit/veg you were surprised hownrhey grewbefore you had your allotment or is it just me?

Springlands

Re: Feel a bit naive...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 20:53 »
RJR - it is not surprising if you have not grown something before that you do not always know exactly how it grows especially if you are relatively new to gardening. As you may have realised it is the tassels at the top which fertilise the corn cobs.

There are some really good veggie growing books - I would suggest that you try to get some from a local library or a second hand shop - try a few - decide what you like and then perhaps buy the ones you like best.  :)

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 20:54 »
Yes, peanuts, I thought they grew on trees. :lol:

Gwil

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 20:56 »
I thought the exact same thing with sweetcorn!  It's my second year growing so I know what to expect this time round.

Not quite the same, but I left a couple parsnips in from last year and went away for 2 weeks' holiday in late may and was amazed by the height and size flower heads they had produced when I returned.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 21:01 »
Mine is a bit different, i knew how leeks grew in the ground but i didnt know how long they took to grow. I never moan at the price now when i do have to buy some

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 21:07 »
Glad I am not the only silly one! With the corn I could see little seed bits falling down onto the feathery tassels below today so at least I know how that is done now. I do have a few veg books but they don't actually say where on the plant the various bits grow! For example with onions they write about them bulbing up, the size of their necks etc but the fact they grow on top of the ground is assumed knowledge! It just proves how important GYO is!

I remember my friend being surprised how pineapples grew as she always thought they came from trees like bananas or coconuts.

I am just off to google peanuts... (Eek) ...

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 21:09 »
 :blink: :wacko: :blink: peanuts grow underground?!? I assumed it was a bush of some sort......

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 21:23 »
The Vegetable Expert by D G Hessayon is good because you can see pictures of the veggies and how they grow. I still refer to my copy after many years.

bravemurphy

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 21:30 »
Yes, peanuts, I thought they grew on trees. :lol:

Heheheh me too until a couple of years ago  ???

DIGGER

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 21:41 »
Next to my bench at my allotment I have a magic bush,it produces sweets and chocolates whenever my grandchildren visit.

Springlands

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 21:43 »
Next to my bench at my allotment I have a magic bush,it produces sweets and chocolates whenever my grandchildren visit.

Oh - where did you get it - would love a bush like that - for the grandchildren you understand - not for me.  ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 21:47 »
I would like one of those bushes too. In fact, I am pretty certain that with minimal marketing you could soon be a millionaire  ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 21:49 »
:blink: :wacko: :blink: peanuts grow underground?!? I assumed it was a bush of some sort......

I used to think peanuts grew on trees too!   But like the others have said, if we haven't grown something before, then we may not get it right.  I also thought that peanutes were a nut!   But, they are apparetly part of the legume family like peas and beans

Every day we learn something new! 

DIGGER

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 21:50 »
I would like one of those bushes too. In fact, I am pretty certain that with minimal marketing you could soon be a millionaire  ;)
It also produces chilled white wine and bottled beer when adults visit

Springlands

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 22:06 »
It also produces chilled white wine and bottled beer when adults visit

Mmmmm - even better.  :lol:

question
Growing capsicums in Glasgow - are we being too naive? (UPDATED w/pic)

Started by jamesbrownontheroad on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 08:10
by jamesbrownontheroad
xx
I feel very far behind!

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 19:43
by yorkiegal
xx
feel sick

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 10:24
by hubballi
xx
Feel like i'm achieving something!!!

Started by beki on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 11:26
by summer-sun

Page created in 0.515 seconds with 37 queries.