Hand pollinating Courgettes

• 16 Replies

simbamara

• Experienced Member
Hand pollinating Courgettes
« on: July 15, 2013, 13:52 »

The flowers look similar at first glance, but if you look behind the petals you will see either a thin stem (male flower) or a much thicker embryo courgette (female flower.)

You need both at the same time for fertilisation to happen (although not necessarily on the same plant if you've got more than one.)

If the baby courgette rots off after the withered flower has dropped off it probably failed to get pollinated; gentle transferring of pollen from male to female flowers (when open!) using an artist's paintbrush will help prevent that happening!'

Jay G

I have both male and female flowers on my plants.Is it still necessary to hand polinate the female?Can you explain more the hand fertilisation process please ?
Thanks

Edit to define quoted text more clearly.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 14:58 by arugula »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Hand pollinating Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 15:18 »
I wish I knew why many people seem to have few problems with cucurbit pollination (other than possibly growing more of them than I have space for, thereby statistically increasing the likelihood of good insect pollination) but in any event hand pollination does make sure of it and avoids disappointments.

I use a small, cheapo artist's paintbrush which is brushed against the yellow centre of a male flower (stamens) to pick up the pollen, which is then transferred to the yellow structure in the centre of the female flower (stigma.)

Alternatively you can cut off the male flower at the stem, pull the leaves off, and use the pollen-covered stamen to fertilise the female flower. That works too but of course you have destroyed the male flower which the following day you may find you wish you still had available!!  :ohmy:

If the stigma of the female flower has started to darken and shrivel, it has either already been pollinated, or it's an old flower which is probably too late to pollinate anyway.

Obviously it helps if both flowers are open at the time (i.e. during the day) but if you are not around at those times you can still do it, although you need at least 3 hands to hold the flowers open while you "operate"!

If you don't fancy having to do that you can just wait and see and hope for the best - your bees may be more hard-working and helpful than mine seem to be!  ;)

Hope this helps (I don't know any more!!)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 16:42 »
Very clear and easy to follow.Thank you.I shall go and see if ''an operation'' is required and do the necessary.:-))

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:36 »
I have already begun to harvest and cook the courgettes and flowers !!:-))

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 07:09 »
Good innit.  :)

Did the bees perform the operation for you or did you have to intervene?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:13 »
Due to present circumstances, I've not been able to get to the plot for a week. You'e guessed it - my first courgettes are marrows!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 09:10 »
@JayG

I was not sure so I did the hand pollination anyway.I do not know if it was necessary though.:-))

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 09:20 »
Yes, it's one of those gardening procedures where it's impossible to know whether it made a difference without going to the trouble of arranging a controlled experiment.

If you get to the point where your neighbours see you with handfuls of courgettes and run away you will no doubt be tempted to risk finding out if the bees will do the job for you!  ;)

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:05 »
@JayG

I just pollinate as soon as I see a male and female flower.But I too found few baby courgettes beginning to shrivall away?

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 10:09 »
@JayG

I just pollinate as soon as I see a male and female flower.But I too found few baby courgettes beginning to shrivall away?

I've noticed that the first couple often shrivel and drop, then they pick up and crop as normal.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:39 »
We have had 71 courgettes so far  ??? Our first few always drop off but then the plant really gets going. I moaned about having none and then a week later i was moaning because we had too many.  :lol:

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:58 »
I am smiling now..:-))

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 11:02 »
Courgettes need no help to fruit. Try stopping em  :lol:

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 11:25 »
For the moment,I have more answers than they have questions as far what to do with them is concerned..:-))

seaside

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 12:51 »
As courgette flowers tend to be plentiful when up and running, I wonder if it is possible to use a spare Summer squash courgette male flower to pollinate a Winter squash like butternut as they tend to be a lot later in managing opening males and female flowers at the same time, and often are in a greenhouse or poly tunnel.
It would certainly help in getting the butternut fruiting underway for those that say they are finding it difficult. There tend to be quite a few wasted females on the butternut early on.

xx
Anyone tried hand pollinating Sweetcorn?

Started by Ghost on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 12:59
by Goosegirl
xx
Pollinating strawberries by hand

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 13, 2012, 09:26
by ianl
xx
Courgettes not pollinating

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 20:50
by wildeone
xx
pollinating my Courgettes

Started by UrbanGrower on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 10:29
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.557 seconds with 29 queries.