A couple of potato questions

• 12 Replies

al78

A couple of potato questions
« on: July 14, 2013, 13:39 »
1. Is there a technique to digging up potatoes without spearing at least one of them with the fork?
2. I am currently lifting early potatoes on the day I intend to eat them. Is it fine to leave the rest in the ground to do their own thing until the time I want to lift them, even if that is a couple of months away?

Beetroot queen

Re: A couple of potato questions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 13:55 »
It annoys me when i spear spuds, such a waste as you always take out the best one  ::)

We tend to just let the kids at them who happily get in the soil with hands and dig for ages, once they lose interest hubby goes in with the fork.

I am sure the kids wont always enjoy spud driving but we have florence up and coming so i have a few years yet. Se squeals with delight at the sight of a potato so we will be hard pushed to miss one

jim1972

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 14:24 »
i always lift them as and when i need them and just like you no matter how hard i try i spear the best potato every time  ::)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 14:33 »
I pull mine up from the stems - this pulls up the majority of them before I dig with the fork. Not speared any yet using this technique

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 14:34 »
I go in with a spade, starting well away from the stem.

Still slice the biggest one though. Its a fundamental law of physics!  :(

al78

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 15:46 »
I pull mine up from the stems - this pulls up the majority of them before I dig with the fork. Not speared any yet using this technique

This doesn't work for me. I end up with a load of potato foliage in my hand with the potatoes still in the ground.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 15:49 »
I suspect it won't work for most of us!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

rich24uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 16:47 »
Aside from making sure that you lift from a good way away and get as deep as possible, not sure there is a secret to avoiding it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 16:51 »
I always spear some  >:(

Yes, they should keep in the ground fine.  Just beware later in the season for slugs which might have a nibble  ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 17:09 »

This doesn't work for me. I end up with a load of potato foliage in my hand with the potatoes still in the ground.
a

Oh really? I must be lucky with my soil here then :)

Lincolnshire Floyd

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 17:19 »
If you grow them under black polythene nearly all of them are sitting on the surface when you lift the polythene because most of the potatoes are formed just below where the haulm meets the soil which you don't really appreciate when you mound them up.
If you grow them the traditional way you have created a heavy job trying to dig them all out and of course it's then difficult to find every last one.
Once I've gathered all the ones sitting on the surface I'll dig half a spit deep for the ones hiding inches below the surface and always use a spade rather than a fork and start work well away from the plant centre. It's not often I slice one but if I do it's always useable.
I couldn't go back to ridging spuds anymore. The black polythene method is much easier and I've found I suffer less disease problems this way.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 17:21 by Lincolnshire Floyd »

3759allen

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 18:16 »
once i've started a row i just start further away and work my way into the crop, and go in really deep and pull the fork up through the soil, collecting the potatoes on the fork or at least bringing them to the surface.

seaside

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 20:22 »
It annoys me when i spear spuds, such a waste as you always take out the best one  ::)

You do realise there's sort of a mathematical bias toward that happening. They're bigger.
I've always thought the best answer is to dig INTO the row from the side, not UP the row. There's a sort of safe starting point, and of course, you're pushing your fork in deeper attacking the job from the troughs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 20:24 by seaside »

xx
Couple of questions

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:25
by fatcat1955
xx
A Couple of Questions...

Started by teabelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 12:45
by teabelly
xx
a couple of questions??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 08, 2007, 15:46
by GrannieAnnie
xx
couple of questions

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 16:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.033 seconds with 36 queries.