Adding sawdust,

• 5 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Adding sawdust,
« on: July 14, 2013, 10:34 »
Hi guys,

I can get hold of bags sawdust from my work it's dust not shavings, i have just finished my fruit cage yesterday i was wondering if their is any benefits/no no, if i add the sawdust on top too as a mulch.

thanks.
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Kleftiwallah

Re: Adding sawdust,
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 12:12 »

I suspect the first rain will send the saw dust into a slimy slippery mass, then dry to a hard crust but give a small area a covering and check after the rain (or a good watering).

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 12:29 »
I would have thought too it would create a hard crust not really benefitting any plants. If you want to use it would it work on heavy clay but dug in rather than lay on the top.

I could be suggesting something really stupid so please dont do it till someone else replies further  :ohmy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 12:47 »
If it's "normal" sawdust (i.e. not literally dust-sized particles) AND not from wood that has been treated or painted it should be just about OK as a mulch and weed suppressant.

It won't rob the soil of nitrogen unless you dig it in, and then it is more a case of "borrowing" rather than robbing, although in large quantities it would cause a temporary depletion in available soil nitrogen.

I used some pine sawdust as a mulch for my blueberries because it's said to release organic acids as it decomposes - I can't say what if anything it did for the soil pH because I used sulphur chips at the same time, but it didn't cause any problems as such (but it was no more than 1" thick.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Stree

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 15:42 »
I have plenty of machinery all capable of producing bag and bags of sawdust, but I never ever use it on the garden. It cannot help aeration of the soil if its dust, it can bake into a crust that water runs off, and I am swayed to believe the counter argument that it depletes the soil of nitrogen during its long decomposition.
Burn it and use the potash instead, much more dependable benefit that way rather than gambling it "might" do good.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 17:40 »
Thanks for the replies i think i will give it a miss.

xx
Composting sawdust.

Started by Chas on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 21:33
by Johndeb
xx
sawdust burning stove

Started by Little weed on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 20:07
by Little weed
xx
Ash straw sawdust and manure...

Started by Stree on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 20, 2009, 22:53
by Stree
xx
Adding worms to my full compost heap

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2020, 02:35
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 37 queries.