'Socrates' F1 cucumber...

• 4 Replies

Growster...

'Socrates' F1 cucumber...
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:26 »
Were trying these this year, and after the obligatory demise of one plant (that's what they're supposed to do of course), we have five plants growing well in pots in the greenhouse.

We've had the first fruits recently, and they're gathering their strength for the next crop, but what I can never understand, is whether I should have pinched them out after a few leaves, or left them,as I have, as a long stem, which I eventually twist up twine to the greenhouse roof.

So, are you a 'stopper', or a 'twister'?

Totty

Re: 'Socrates' F1 cucumber...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:58 »
I grow them up one stem and pinch all side shoots out. Otherwise they end up in a right tangled mess. As the plants get bigger I sometimes let a side shoot develop a few leaves then pinch it out, that gives the plants some fresh new leaves to catch the sun with. Fingers crossed its looking to be a good year for cukes.

Totty
image.jpg
image.jpg

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 10:06 »
i'm growing them for the first time this year. just twisting until they reach the middle of the tunnel, when they there i'll nip the tip out.

i'd agree with totty about the side shoots. i thought i'd leave the side shoots to it as there's so many horror stories about cucumbers. i had a double theory that the less i mess with them the less chance there is i'll kill them. and i was assuming i'd loose up to half to rot so the side shoots could make up for the thinning crop when they did die on me. now going absolute nuts, non died, can't even see where i'm watering, too many shoots to train them all up the stem/ string.

next year i will either try the mesh idea and let them get on with it, or cut the side shoots and train. prob try half and half and see what gives a better crop. still trying to learn as quick as pos.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 21:43 »
Interesting replies, thank you, but our cuces don't seem to have side-shoots, they just battle on regardless!

I've stopped one in it's tracks to see what will happen!

More next week!

Totty

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 22:47 »
I have found that for lots of the small types, leave them to go wherever they want. If large specimens are being grown grow em on the one stem.

Totty

xx
cucumber help please !!

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 10:33
by kezlou
xx
Cucumber about to die on me?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 16:57
by JayG
xx
cucumber

Started by lisa80 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 07:24
by sunshineband
xx
Cucumber

Started by Phoenix on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 02, 2006, 18:40
by John

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 36 queries.