Old boys' wisdom - again...

• 19 Replies

Growster...

Old boys' wisdom - again...
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:56 »
One of my 'Patch' neighbours chuckled yesterday, when he mentioned that an old boy had recently told him to dust his carrots with talcum powder, as the carrot fly gets confused!

Logical? Possibly yes!

m1ckz

Re: Old boys' wisdom - again...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 07:04 »
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 07:27 »
What bothers me, apart from it probably being illegal according to EU directives, is that people like you and I are the next generation of OB's!

Do we have to go somewhere to learn these things?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 08:17 »
Ants dont seem to like it but not sure about it on my carrots, it would have to be re- applied often if we watered or it rained.

No-one on our site seems to grow them in the ground they use every container posible from blue water butts (me) to recycling boxes ( very popular) to bath tubs. Mine have lots of green but i am not sure what the harvest will be like.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 15:07 »
If nothing else, Growster, you'll end up with baby soft leaves   ;) :D

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 15:22 »
I was told by an "Old Boy" to sprinkle salt in the seed drill to deter CF.
Bish

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 15:30 »
Bish

Hmm that would deter anything from growing I would have thought.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 15:36 »
Our OB lays a piece of wood painted with creosote between the rows. Woodworm are kept deterred by the carrots.

seaside

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 20:47 »
I listen to some OBs and their rather verbose opinions for one reason only. They may well be keeping alive a thoroughly sustainable idea that is cheap, efficient in a resource sense, and of course ultimately good for crops... almost an insight into the micro needs of a particular crop. Real experience is massively important.

Their best advice by far is always, always to look after your soil. A lot of them then go and spoil it all by chucking loads of chemicals into the mix... probably see organic desire and practice as some sort of fashion trend to be mocked as naïve.
Apart from growing talk, I keep clear of the OBs, as they are a generation separate to me and their society views reflect that... can't be doing with that sort of talk .. I won't have it elsewhere in my life, and I won't tolerate it.
I far prefer the sap and cleaner vision of the youngsters, even though they have a lot to learn technically. They do have a different style to the OBs, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 20:50 by seaside »

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 21:07 »
Interesting responses here - thank you.

I just considered the logic of the way to deter the dreaded fly away, and suggest that this is not a bad idea!

I don't mind learning about new ways to get rid of this pest, and anything I find which works gets the thumbs up!

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 01:42 »
the only two ways I've heard of that successfully repel carrot fly is to plant the carrots up high in an old bathtub, or, cover the whole carrot area with very fine netting for the whole season.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 07:20 »
the only two ways I've heard of that successfully repel carrot fly is to plant the carrots up high in an old bathtub, or, cover the whole carrot area with very fine netting for the whole season.

Yes, but what sort of talc will you use as well, Trills..;0)

I hear that Boots have just started a 'Gardening Range', with various smells to deter creatures, not lure them...

BobE

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 07:42 »
I plant carrots in a micromesh tunnel.  They are about £22 and I leave them on the rows for the entire growing time.  I can get two rows under each tunnel.  They stop everything but rain and wind.
IMG_0765.jpg
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 07:48 by BobE »

al78

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:26 »
Bish

Hmm that would deter anything from growing I would have thought.

Exactly, the carrots don't grow and the carrot fly starve to death.  :D

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 10:30 »
Talking of old boys wisdom I was chatting to a plot neighbour, (he's an absolutely lovely chap) - he was saying about one of the garden pests and how years ago, you could buy such and such spray "that's been linked to cancer now...if I'd known what I know now I'd have bought loads of it and stored it" and there was me thinking he was going to say he'd have never used it at all!!

I think they've got a lot of real wisdom but it does tend to get mixed up in a lot of folklore and fluff! Sift out what you feel is right and park the rest in the back of your mind.

xx
Too many boys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by BussinSpain on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 31, 2014, 20:18
by wighty
xx
Think we have blight, old boys on plot are not 100% sure

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 21:32
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.83 seconds with 37 queries.