Poor showing from shallots.

• 20 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Poor showing from shallots.
« on: July 13, 2013, 19:17 »
I tried growing Red Sun shallots this year. Old style planting on the shortest day to harvest on the longest. They have done very poorly. Question: do I save them and try planting them next year, or will they be as poor as I got this year? Would it be better to use up the few that have made it to a useable state and get new sets in next year?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Poor showing from shallots.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 19:22 »
For the cost of new sets, I'd get new stock.

I plant in February and mine are still romping away. December always seems a bit early to me to be planting, especially with a long drawn out winter.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 19:28 »
I planted some small shallots from my own grown last year.  Won't bother again as each one only has 2or 3bulbs on it.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 19:55 »
My shallots have done poorly this year too.  A lot just withered away early on and the few which did survive to bulb and divide, only went to 2 or 3 bulbs and small ones at that.  I think it must be the weather, the long cold spring that did it, most years I get a good crop.
Anne

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 20:01 »
I grew Longor again.  They are almost ready.  I would say an average crop.   Not as good as last year which  was a great crop.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 20:12 »
Mine are still growing away like mad. So no idea yet

richie3846

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 20:53 »
This is my 1st year at growing red sun shallots, so I'm a novice, but I bought a net at the end of March from Wilko's, threw them in the fridge until 6th April to trick 'em into thinking winter was still hanging around (which it was to be fair!), planted 'em out 6th April and today harvested a bumper crop, with between 6 and 15 shallots per bulb and 100% germination. I think this planting out early may be a waste of time. Try keeping them in a cool place, this has the same effect on the bulb, but without all the weather, frost, snow etc. They won't rot either.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 22:04 »
Seconded re the planting early.

Same as most things!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 23:12 »
My shallots have done poorly this year too.  A lot just withered away early on and the few which did survive to bulb and divide, only went to 2 or 3 bulbs and small ones at that.  I think it must be the weather, the long cold spring that did it, most years I get a good crop.
I checked my diary and I planted the shallot sets on 8th November!  I hadn't realised it was so early. I must've seen them in the shops and assumed that it must be the right time to plant if they are on sale.  I'll try later next year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 23:27 »
Annen - you may have picked up the tail end of autumn planted shallots that should have been in much earlier.

My local nursery will not have shallots or onion sets destined for spring planting in stock until January at the earliest.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 01:06 »
Mine (Jermor - Autumn planted) have all flopped over so do I harvest now?  There are 6-8 shallots per cluster but they aren't very big... :wub:  Still, they are better then last year when I got them from Wilko and not one even sprouted... ???
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 07:32 »
If they've flopped, it's harvest time. They won't get any bigger.

It's been a funny old year! As usual.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 07:46 »
I don't grow anything which "has" to be overwintered to get off to an early start because losses can be high and it's not necessary if you choose the right varieties.

My saved Mikor and Golden Globe shallots were planted at the end of February and after an uncertain start (especially the ones repeatedly dug up by fox cubs!) they are still romping away, with none bolting up to now.

OK, not an early crop but that was never going to happen this year, and they are for autumn/winter use so that's not a problem for me.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 07:54 »
As said before, I'm with JayG on this one. Mine made it in on the last day of February, and there's been no stopping them!

Sparkyrog

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 07:56 »
No spring cabbage ?
I cook therefore I grow

xx
Another poor showing...

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 14:55
by Christine
xx
red onions and shallots not showing yet

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 08:52
by Christine
xx
nothing showing yet :(

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 21:47
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Showing Veg

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 07, 2006, 22:51
by Oliver

Page created in 0.742 seconds with 37 queries.