tuscany kale; help

• 42 Replies

Grubbypaws

tuscany kale; help
« on: July 09, 2013, 20:40 »
OK guys and girls'; help  :unsure:. It is July and my Tuscany kale planted last July is still producing more then we can safely eat; plus the freezer is getting full! There is no signs of bolting. What do I do? The space has been pre-allocated to PSB which is arriving tomorrow, what do i do? if the kale is going to bolt tomorrow, no problem but how can i kill such  productive plants?

Sparkyrog

Re: tuscany kale; help
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 20:43 »
A) Rip them out !

B) PSB should not be following Kale .

That is just plain wrong on a rotational system  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 20:58 »
I feel your pain! But I also can't believe it's still producing. What's your secret?!!!  :nowink:

If you have more than one plant could you leave one and kill the others? You could plant the PSB out and pot on the final one for a bit.

Would be interesting to know when it finally bolts-then you could save some seed from this super strain.

bravemurphy

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 21:08 »
My chickens would love to have it  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 23:58 »
Make lots of stir fries and ribollita  :) It's good in minestrone too  :)

Chook owners will be grateful for them if you do grub them up. Wait to see if the psb deffo arrives though before digging them up  :)

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 07:38 »
Is there nowhere else the PSB could go?  As Sparkyrog says, they shouldn't really follow straight on from kale as they are both brassicas.  PSB is also in the ground for a long period of time.  Growing brassicas in the same place for almost 2 years without a break  is an opportunity for pests and diseases to take hold. 

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:25 »
It is actually growing in raised bed under cover. When I planted them last year there was space in the bed and I just had thoughts of overwintering them   ::)  It was my first year of trying to use my beds over winter (I also had a bumper crop of mizuna and oriental mustard)

I am aware that I shouldn’t really put more brassica there but since it is under cover and disease free I was hoping that I would be OK? Everything I grow seems to belong to the brassica family making rotation a nightmare. Maybe I should consider a nematode solution, but they are £££.

Potty, what a super idea to save the seed. If it ever bolts i will definitely do this.

CQ, yes i will definitely wait for them to arrive first. Why oh why did I order 3 varieties; 18 plants  :wacko:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 17:30 »
Pot up the Tuscan Kale into big flower pots and keep it going as long as possible.
Pick the young growth for salad.

And well done incidently - wish mine would last that long!! :D

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 18:24 »
I don't worry about rotation I just try not to grow veg of the same family in the same space twice in a row.

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 18:34 »
I don't worry about rotation I just try not to grow veg of the same family in the same space twice in a row.
But if Grubbypaws now plants PSB directly after the kale, that is exactly what will happen.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 19:02 »
I am aware that I shouldn’t really put more brassica there but since it is under cover and disease free I was hoping that I would be OK? Everything I grow seems to belong to the brassica family making rotation a nightmare. Maybe I should consider a nematode solution, but they are £££.

It's not just about pests.  It's about soil-borne diseases, which become more likely if you don't give the soil a break, and about nutrition - constant depletion of the same nutrients.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 09:40 »
So is the consensus that even if I use Nemasys 'Grow Your Own' Multiple Pest Killer and feed the bed well I would still be foolish to plant the PSB?

If they dont go there they dont get planted as every inch of space has been used. I guess I could give them to my neighbour :mellow:

ptarmigan

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 09:50 »
Hi. rotation is important but its not like you are farming on industrial scale depleting the soil and planting same stuff for years.there's more of a chance of disease but its worth taking as psb is so good. I'd suggest planting them rather than wasting them. give them a good feed and think about rotation when they come out. I've done that when run out of space with no problems. very impressed by your kale!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 11:49 »
How many psb do folks grow? There are just 2 of us until the Christmas invasion that is  :D

ptarmigan

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 12:02 »
We had about 15 plants for 4 people. we like it and that was enough.

xx
what is on my kale?

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 14:16
by andreadon
xx
Can I fix kale?

Started by Raven81 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 11:18
by Raven81
xx
kale

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2019, 16:57
by rowlandwells
xx
kale

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2012, 15:22
by TerryB

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 37 queries.