Scythe - does anyone recommend one?

• 5 Replies

Babycat

• Experienced Member
Scythe - does anyone recommend one?
« on: July 06, 2013, 21:26 »
I have a knobbly allotment and the electric strimmer I have is a pain in the butt and doesn't do the trick on the long grass (yes, I've been busy, it's 3 foot high now).

Do any of you use a scythe and which one if yes?

x BB
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Scythe - does anyone recommend one?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 22:47 »
No, not a sythe.  Worzel uses a petrol brush cutter to cut down vacant plots.

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:33 »
This is quite a good lightweight alternative to using a petrol machine or a traditional styled scythe, but mind your ankles!

http://www.darlac.com/products/grass-whip-2

madcat

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 15:01 »
OH uses a scythe to cut paths, edges, most anything really.  The strimmers (petrol and electric) stay in the shed.  He was taught as a teenager, and 35 yrs later and a couple of backaches from using it awkwardly, the movement came back (like riding a bike) when he was kindly given one that had seen many years of service and has many more in it.  I would suggest you will need someone to tutor you on how it is done - there is a knack, and a whetstone to keep it sharp as you work.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

jezza

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 23:58 »
hi do you want left or right handed right handed easier to find ,try spaldings they have alloy handled ones   jezza

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:57 »
There are clips of using scythes on Youtube etc.  I think scything is big in Austria and they make the world's best ones, apparently.  Like anything, it's a skill to be acquired

http://www.thescytheshop.co.uk/   This place is in Bridport but seems to be the font of knowledge for all things scythe in the UK

I once saw an old lady scything a field when my husband and I were driving home through Staffs to Derbys.  She looked completely at ease and her movements were fluid. She'd obviously been practising.  I was in awe. A whole field  :ohmy:  No noise, no fumes, no petrol, no electric, just a lady at one with her scythe. Ah bliss  :)

Most unkempt plots are knobbly and I know that using a strimmer is hard work especially if you're a lady gardener as your arms need a week to recover between bouts  :nowink: 

I suppose it depends on how much time you've got.  If you want to scythe it down you've just got to factor that in. Mind you what better project to learn the art of scything. Good luck with it  :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:14 by compostqueen »

xx
Would you recommend using a scythe to clear a new plot?

Started by bruirn on Equipment Shed

41 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 22:00
by mkhenry
xx
scythe or strimmer

Started by japagow on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 10:37
by japagow
xx
allen scythe

Started by dwdwdw on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 09, 2007, 17:44
by dwdwdw
xx
scythe stone

Started by jeannie on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 18:44
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 31 queries.