is it too hot to transplant seedlings ?

• 4 Replies

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
is it too hot to transplant seedlings ?
« on: July 06, 2013, 18:06 »
ive got my leeks ready to go in, also kale and perpetual spinach. i would have liked to do it tomorrow, but temps round here give to get higher.  ( im not moaning by the way, re the weather :lol:)  obviously i would water them well in, but shall i wait till the heatwave, such as it is, is over?
just one other question on my mind, should i give the ground a good water before they go in, as well as when ive just put them in?

Nikkithefoot

Re: is it too hot to transplant seedlings ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 18:18 »
I would possibly give the ground where they are going a really good soak tonight, and I mean a good soak, then if you really have to plant them out do so tomorrow evening when they will be out of the blazing sun and it will be cooler, then water really well again. Oh and don't forget to give the baby plants a good soak before you plant them out. By doing all this you will lessen the shock, and give them easy to get to water as the need it.
Can also rig up some shade and possibly mulch immediately after planting.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 18:35 »
thanks for that nikkithefoot.  since that are ok in their modules and pots i think ill leave it for another week or so.
the area where they were to go is in full sun, and it would be hard to shade them with any degree of success. so no harm done in leaving them  ;).

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:01 »
Running out of time I planted my leeks out in the baking sun whilst listening to the ladies finals. With the week i have ahead of me it was then or never. There is no shade. I watered well before and after and will just have to see if they do OK.  :(

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 17:11 »
i know what you mean grubbypaws-earning a living always gets in the way of the ideal moment to do things on the plot.  most of the stuff i grow is planted when time dictates i can have a couple of spare hours to myself.  good luck with your leeks :)

xx
When to transplant capsicum and tom seedlings?

Started by KarooPaul on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 03:13
by sclarke624
xx
You can't transplant Carrot seedlings (or can you?)

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 30, 2012, 00:00
by Trillium
xx
Cabbage seedlings too large to transplant?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2014, 14:31
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Beetroot - to transplant or not to transplant?

Started by hasbean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 21:40
by SkipRat

Page created in 0.618 seconds with 36 queries.