Great plants but no spuds

• 32 Replies

Grubbypaws

Re: Great plants but no spuds
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 07:59 »
Yes DD it was very early but I had no choice as I was going abroad for 3 months. I was amazed when I got back to see such healthy plants but it would seem that my excitement may have been premature. Looking at the potato posts some people like you are having good harvests whilst others are having extremely poor returns from very healthy looking plants. I wonder if it all comes down to how early they were planted and how much of the horrible spring they had to cope with?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 08:03 »
Ah, yes, I remember that post now.

A few years ago, due to illness, I didn't plant until May, but still had a good, albeit late, crop.

I think you were in between a rock and a hard place with that as you would have been very late otherwise.

Your situation aside, I find it never pays to try and start anything early.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 13:11 »
I have rubbish looking spindly plants - could it be that I will have the reverse of everyone and loads of spuds and less than luxurious foliage??? (no, guess not!)

Am fully expecting not to get many spuds and it's most likely my fault for putting on manure that was too fresh and too full of wood chip. The charlottes in a bag are looking amazing in comparison.  :)

seaside

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 14:37 »
I seem to be the opposite. So far my 2nd earlies have been small little plants, with only a few passing flowers. But I have been very satisfied with the actual harvest. I would almost call it a big crop, and with virtually no disease to speak of, no slugs, no nothing. I think the weather suited my timing just right this year, and missed the frost by one day, but I do admit to watering them twice in late May/June.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 15:24 »
My first three rows have rubbish growth on the plants,and a poor crop,i got the seed potatoes from a place where my father got his and he said his were poor as well.However it could just be the weather but they were very slow at coming through and have been slow since.
My other five rows were bought at my usual seed potato place and the top growth is much better,so hopefully the crop will be better as well.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 18:09 »
After growing in containers and growing in the ground I gave up with the ground.
Found that I got a lot of green growth and rarely anything I could call a potato.
One year I think what came out was less in weight to what went in, did get 6ft growth.
The container ones have always been more successful, always better crops. Also means I can grow a few of different tyrpes without having to occupy what would be large proportions of the garden - does help that several places sell packs of 5 to 7 potato's

Totty

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 19:41 »
I too only bother with them in pots. More watering and feeding, but better and much cleaner yields.

Totty

AnneB

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 21:42 »
Grubby - you may be right. 1st of March is very early to be planting spuds, (unless in a pot/bag indoors) - in your neck of the woods.

A per another recent post of mine, I planted my Lady C on 15 April - that's a good 6 weeks after you  - I lifted some a few days ago and on one root there were nearly 2 lbs of spuds.

I planted both Ulster Classic and British Queens on 7th April, which I don't think is too early.   Really good top growth and flowers, apart from 1 Ulster Classic tuber that came down with blackleg this week.   However not much in the way of crop underneath, although the British Queens seem a bit better.  I haven't done anything different this year and normally get good crops.  Ground manured last autumn. Lovely soil.  Even last year the BQs gave a lovely crop.  Baffled.

thatshallot

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 22:56 »
Hello, my first time really growing spuds. Planted around 1st March and couldn't resist tipping em out today. I think they are Pentland Javelin, am not sure if they're meant to be a lot bigger, but they tasted good.
004.jpg

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 01:13 »
Oh my goodness!  See?  I KNEW I WAS RIGHT!!!! I share a plot with two friends.  I really didn't want to grow maincrop spuds this year due to the space they take up verses the yield for three families.  In my opinion its not worth it.  But I really wanted to grow some 'new pots' in tubs/a small plot area which could then be dug over for something else.  Fresh 'early' potatoes are worth the time and effort I think.  Hey ho. 

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 08:24 »
It means there aren't any potatoes yet, nothing more, nothing less.

I think you have to get used to the fact that things don't always grow right and nature has its own ways. This year you may get no potatoes, next year you might have to slit the bag down the side because the potatoes have filled it so full, there is not necessarily rhyme or reason and every problem doesn't need a new thread on a forum.

Based on your numerous "HELP ME" threads it sounds to me like your garden may not be suited to growing vegetables. This can happen, my parents garden is hopeless for Veg, they live in Yorkshire, its cold, damp and the local slug population are good strong yorkshire slugs, so tender plants get nibbled up in moments.

I can't help but feel that maybe you should focus your efforts elsewhere, or maybe if you want to carry on, take a gardening course. RHS courses are well regarded, and local adult education groups often have gardening classes. I feel this would be very beneficial for you.

I had to read this twice. Is it just me that thinks this is a most unhelpful, patronising reply to Hubbalii?  l

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 10:19 »
I had to read this twice. Is it just me that thinks this is a most unhelpful, patronising reply to Hubbalii?  l

If you keep up with Hubballi's many gardening disasters you may see a number truths in that reply.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 14:37 »
That may be but it still sounds very patronising

Beetroot queen

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 15:18 »
That may be but it still sounds very patronising

Yes maybe but sometimes hubbs just ignores people after having asked for help. People seem to be getting fed up with trying. I think people have decided the only way to be is john blunt  :wacko:

Grubbypaws

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 15:27 »
Maybe but this posting is apt as it is a very strange year for potatos and lots of us are questioning how this strange spring has effected things. I have never had such lush top growth and so few spuds on my first  furtle  :( Oh and no flowers yet either  :unsure:

xx
Deliveries of plants / spuds etc

Started by alibean on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 09:20
by Debz
xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
How do I tell the difference between sprout plants from cabbage plants

Started by sushi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 20:47
by sushi
xx
Just had a great day.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 23:53
by mashauk

Page created in 0.565 seconds with 37 queries.