Great plants but no spuds

• 32 Replies

hubballi

Great plants but no spuds
« on: July 03, 2013, 21:16 »
I am growing very healthy, large Charlotte and red duke of York potatoes in soil and bags. I have had a feel and not one single spud.

What does this mean ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Great plants but no spuds
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 21:21 »
When did you plant them ?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 21:23 »
I harvested red duke of york yesterday one bin ( old style black bin harvested 3lb) most tiny and i cant say i was very impressed with the taste. Plants were great though  :wacko: mine were just starting to turn yellow

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 21:36 »
Me too this year.  Lovely Ulster Classic plants in full flower.  A few marble sized spuds beneath.  Not sure why.  Usually spuds are one of my best crops.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 22:01 »
It means there aren't any potatoes yet, nothing more, nothing less.

I think you have to get used to the fact that things don't always grow right and nature has its own ways. This year you may get no potatoes, next year you might have to slit the bag down the side because the potatoes have filled it so full, there is not necessarily rhyme or reason and every problem doesn't need a new thread on a forum.

Based on your numerous "HELP ME" threads it sounds to me like your garden may not be suited to growing vegetables. This can happen, my parents garden is hopeless for Veg, they live in Yorkshire, its cold, damp and the local slug population are good strong yorkshire slugs, so tender plants get nibbled up in moments.

I can't help but feel that maybe you should focus your efforts elsewhere, or maybe if you want to carry on, take a gardening course. RHS courses are well regarded, and local adult education groups often have gardening classes. I feel this would be very beneficial for you.

hubballi

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 22:07 »
I will leave them in and see what happens.

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 22:22 »
tried for 2yrs growing in bags,my experience is that its a waste of time iv had way better results from growing in the ground  :unsure:

Jackypam

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 22:40 »
I'm in my second year for fruit and may get more than a cereal bowl full year.  I read about all your harvests, big and small, and I can't wait for the raspberries.  Don't suppose there will be enough for jam but maybe another couple of years.  Am I right in thinking that the harvest will increase over the first few years?

hubballi

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 22:46 »
A farmer friend told me (and he always grew spuds) that they are much better grown in bags, not soil. Never understood why he said that considering he always grew in fields.

allot2learn

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 22:50 »
I think we need to remember that the weather is around three weeks late this year and it probably means that most of our crops are going to be late.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 22:58 »
I will leave them in and see what happens.
Hubballi, Aunt Sally has asked the important question - when did you plant them?  Charlotte is a second early so will need 110 days or more to mature. 

There's a few folks posting here that are lifting tatties at the moment, but don't be dismayed as they may well have planted a lot earlier than you or me, and they are likely to be lifting first earlies.   If it helps, I had a little peek at a bag of Arran Pilot planted the third weekend in April, and there are signs of small tatties swelling.  I havent looked at the charlottes as I expect them to be further behind, but they will produce something.

All tatties  in bags will need watering regularly/ weekly from now on and will appreciate a weekly feed if you haven't added anything to the growing medium.  Bags are a hit or miss, but you will get something for sure, but charlottes seem to do fairly well in bags compared to some other varieties. 

If it helps, up here timings for tatties isn't much out from other years, so be patient and you'll be rewarded   :)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 23:00 by shoozie »

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 23:02 »
A farmer friend told me (and he always grew spuds) that they are much better grown in bags, not soil. Never understood why he said that considering he always grew in fields.
Tatties in bags, though more unpredictable in terms of harvest, are more likely to be pest free in my experience.  A few others on the forum will agree.  This might be what your friend was referring to.

solway cropper

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 23:23 »
I normally have no trouble with potatoes but this year has been very strange so far. I'd say my yields of first earlies have been down by at least half and wonder if the plants need a minimum temperature to initiate tuber development...something they didn't get with the cold spring. All the plants produced abundant top growth but little underneath. Had a furtle under the Kestrels (2nd early) and they are doing much better so hopefully, we'll get a crop but a month later than normal.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 07:12 »
Yes SolwayC I think that you may be right. I planted my LadyC on 1st March and when I furtled at the weekend there was almost nothing there but the top growth is luxurious. I am anxious that it isn’t just a case of everything being behind this year but that the plants have somehow reacted to the unusual spring conditions by producing growth rather than spuds  :unsure:

We will just have to wait and see.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 07:52 »
Grubby - you may be right. 1st of March is very early to be planting spuds, (unless in a pot/bag indoors) - in your neck of the woods.

A per another recent post of mine, I planted my Lady C on 15 April - that's a good 6 weeks after you  - I lifted some a few days ago and on one root there were nearly 2 lbs of spuds.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Deliveries of plants / spuds etc

Started by alibean on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 09:20
by Debz
xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
How do I tell the difference between sprout plants from cabbage plants

Started by sushi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 20:47
by sushi
xx
Just had a great day.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 23:53
by mashauk

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 37 queries.