Minibell Toms help

• 5 Replies

hubballi

Minibell Toms help
« on: July 03, 2013, 12:20 »
I have grown a few minibell toms from seed and all seem to be doing well and putting on a lot of growth. I put them in small pots because I thought they were dwarf but I think that may just be the fruit. Anyway, there are side shoots growing on them but I am not sure if I should let them grow as you do with tumbler types. Any other tips would be appreciated thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

hubballi

Re: Minibell Toms help
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 12:27 »
If only I could get them to grow like that.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 13:13 »
I'm growing a couple of Minibel toms for the first time this year - they are very compact dwarf plants, currently 9 inches tall (I expect will get a little bit bigger) with a short sturdy stem, dark green compact leaves and has the tiniest little flowers (it looks like a dolls house kind of plant)  I've had the plants outside for well on a month now so the weather has probably kept them a little checked but even so, they look like they will be similar to the photo from the link.

So with reference to your earlier post - they ARE dwarf compared to other tom varieties, but they'll still need bigger pots for the roots to take in water and nutrients (at least a 1L or 2L size pot or better still in a hanging basket so if they flop over will make a pretty display)  Why they are putting on so much growth is a mystery - are they getting enough light, have you got them outside (perhaps they are best outdoors?), have you been giving them extra feed?  By the way, they are a bush type so you would not normally pinch out side shoots  ;)

hubballi

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 15:20 »
They are all indoors and greenhouse so they have a better chance. The cold will slow them down outside. I feed them every day with comfrey (like Monty Don is doing presently with all his toms) They are in very small pots but perhaps that doesn't matter as they will still get the nutrients.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 18:19 »
Feeding daily might prevent the take-up of the wider required nutrients, so take care not to overdose.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
toms

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 18:09
by Thompson24
xx
Please look at my Toms :-(

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 10:56
by Maryann
xx
toms

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 21:15
by HuwG
xx
Toms outside

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 10:01
by maxibo

Page created in 1.192 seconds with 38 queries.