Two strawberry questions

• 4 Replies

Lisbon67

Two strawberry questions
« on: July 02, 2013, 20:44 »
As a novice plotholder last year, I created a strawberry bed with about half Cambridge Favourite (mid season) and half Albion (everbearer). As expected, I got a small, roughly similar crop from each variety in their first season, but this year there's been a marked difference: the CFs have given me three weeks (and counting) of fat, juicy, sweet strawberries, but the Albion's fruit have been small, dry and tasteless. Do I need to water them more, or is that a common problem with everbearers? I'm tempted to replace the Albions with an early or late variety.

Second question: I've read that strawberry plants are only really productive for three years or so. If I use runners from older plants to propagate new ones, will those give me another three years of vigour? 

Thanks!

Sparkyrog

Re: Two strawberry questions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 20:50 »
It is best to replace 25% a year  :)
I cook therefore I grow

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 20:52 »
Just to comment on the Albion question. I planted some in spring 2011 and they didnt do much last summer. This year the plants look really small and are producing some friut. They are a fairly tastey but a bit sharp and they are hard in texture. I'm wondering if they should be better but I've no experience of them. My 'florence' are just starting to come ripe now, so I have high hopes (after last years disapointment because of it being so wet - the lovely fruit just rotted before my eyes).

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 21:54 »
It is best to replace 25% a year  :)

But not only after year 1  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 23:58 »
I don't bother with everbearings, but regular strawberries hit their peak at year 3 then go downhill from there. I let mine fruit to year 4 and immediately pull them out, refurbish the bed with manure and other nutrients, then plant new plants or runners I've temporarily grown in another bed.

By totally turning over the bed and feeding it, I've never had any problem with diseases, etc.

And yes, strawberries do need a fair bit of regular watering so the plants and berries get large.

xx
Strawberry questions

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 16:51
by Trillium
xx
Strawberry questions

Started by Katejs on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 19:13
by Katejs
xx
Strawberry Experiment Results & Related Questions

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 21:43
by dmg
xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 36 queries.