Aubergine problem

• 6 Replies

ghost61

Aubergine problem
« on: July 01, 2013, 15:14 »
Despite misting and brushing the flowers on my two aubergine plants, they have all dropped off. What went wrong? In case I get some more flowers is there anything I could do to prevent it from happening again? Failed last year too,so it may be that I should just give up!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Aubergine problem
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 15:32 »
Several of us have the same problem every year, I found that only the bees could do the job properly so moved them all out of the greenhouse - but I've given up now. With the cost of seed and compost it was cheaper to buy them when I fancied them  ::)
Now, I just replace them with courgettes in all my recipes cos they're much easier to grow  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 15:44 »
My plants in the greenhouse were going great guns last year, several little fruits appeared, then within a week, they had all died.  The plants, not just the fruits!

The best year I had was when I only had the one greenhouse, and after they came out of the cold frame, I put them in big pots in the garden.  I had loads of aubergines off them!

They are in my big greenhouse at the moment, but no signs of any flowers yet!  :(

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 07:29 »
Like MoS I have stopped growing them. I did actually get them to fruit every year, but the fruits always start forming just as the frosts come. I have tried bringing them inside to finish growing and ripening but they either get attacked by varying kinds of flies and pests or they never get beyond baby size. Like Mos, for the one or two teeny fruits I eventually get, it is not worth the the expense of growing them. To grow five or six plants in large pots requires a couple of bags of compost plus a packet of seed, all for a few tiny fruit. It probably costs a tenner for three mini fruits! :ohmy: I can buy big, beautiful organic ones for £1.50 each.
I suspect that they would be far better outside as Grannieannie's experience shows, but the chances of us having a suitable season for that are slim.  So, for me I shall concentrate on growing more  rewarding things! :)

Ema

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 21:40 »
:/ guessing I should just throw my piddly 10inch plants out

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 17:55 »
:/ guessing I should just throw my piddly 10inch plants out
If you have them already, there is little to lose by continuing to grow them now. Give it a go, you may be lucky. :)

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 11:24 »
My OH bought a potted one in aldi end of last week, at half price, £1-49, looking like it was all but done for. Now, with a good drink of stewed tea it's going to be knick-named 'The phoenix', and to think, i've fretted over everything else and she comes along with 'The miracle tea cure' and hey presto!!  :) Typical  ;)
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

xx
Aubergine...

Started by Porffor on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 18:59
by Porffor
xx
Aubergine help

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2016, 12:17
by Kenilworth
xx
Aubergine

Started by veginbeds on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 23:01
by veginbeds
xx
Aubergine-less aubergine

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 17:37
by BarefootDancer

Page created in 0.868 seconds with 38 queries.