Broad bean pluckers...

• 20 Replies

Salmo

Re: Broad bean pluckers...
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 09:33 »
I seem to have to net more each year,there was a flock of jackdaws of at least 200 the other night down at my site,rooks,pigeons.No wonder theres not many small birds about with that lot to be fed.

I suspect that Growsters problem is probably jackdaws or rooks, rather than pigeons. If they do not ruin the crop they will be back just before the beans are ready to pick and take the pods off.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 09:46 »
We have gangs of jackdaws, magpies and pigeons to contend with and I can see myself netting things I shouldn't really have to just to give them a break from being uprooted by curious beaks. Plus the squirrels, for whom I am reserving a special pool of loathing.  :mad:

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 10:22 »
I need netting for all the Brassicas but never had trouble with Broad Beans sown in modules but find sowing beans or peas direct a waste of time because of the mice ??? and for the 1st time I'v seen little stalks where the radish seedlings were, mice again I think or could be a rabbit. another crop that needs netting.  Everyone on my site has had to start netting gooseberries as the magpies like them now
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 16:28 »
Pigeons dont seem to bother much except brassicas,stripped leaves with beak shaped marks are pigeons,brassicas or stuff with leaves eaten right down are rabbits.
Jackdaws and rooks know exactly when your peas are ready i know from experience.I use a big woven net from gardening naturally,get a load of 7 or 8 foot canes,shove them well in the ground,then use old plastic pop bottles to go over the top,then drape the net over,it will need weighted down at the edges or fixed at one side to a fence or something,its a faff to put up but you can walk in and weed or pick no problem.
The wilko pond nettings great,long lasting stuff ive had some for ten years, but needs joined together as they arent very big.

allot2learn

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 17:22 »
Pigeons are a constant problem on our site. I have constucted this creation for my Brussels and Cauli's this year.
Brasscage.jpg

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 19:24 »
Actually Salmo, there aren't that many rooks or magpies there, but there are quite a few pheasants!

However, all they do is muck about because they're so thick, but they were on the list of suspects, but, the rudimentary wire netting we had used was so close to the plants, that even a pheasant with two GCSEs wouldn't have been able to get at them! It had to be a smaller bird!

xx
Broad Bean

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 15:30
by Paul Plots
xx
broad bean

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 16:32
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
What is this on my broad bean and is it serious?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 21, 2021, 19:43
by missmoneypenny
xx
Broad bean help

Started by DonnaP on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 15:32
by DonnaP

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 36 queries.