Do birds like swede?

• 33 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Do birds like swede?
« on: June 29, 2013, 17:10 »
I had loads of swede pop up a few weeks ago so feeling smug I thinned them and waited for them to grow bigger. Last weekend I went down and they had got bigger with true leaves showing but something had been munching them - I assumed slugs (despite the organic pellets and traps) so I put down more pellets. When I went down today the ants had almost been stripped bare  :ohmy: very annoyed! They are next to dwarf French beans which look fine and slug free and there are still plenty of pellets around. The only thing I can think is birds? Should I have sowed them in my debris netting tunnel with my cabbages?

I have covered them with a bit of netting I had left over from my strawbs but I am not convinced they will survive now :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Do birds like swede?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 17:12 »
They're a brassica and they love them. At least our pigeons do!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 17:15 »
Ah, of course - silly me, I didn't clock that they were a brassica. It will be the wood pigeons having a feast then  :mad: well, maybe some will be saved but if not I will have learnt for next year - in the netting tunnel they will go!

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 19:22 »
I have a lot of trouble with pigeons & rabbits and neither touch the swede. Other brassicas, french beans, leeks, lettuce & radishes they seem to prefer here.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 19:53 »
I have to net mine or else they eat the growing point out  >:(

seaside

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 20:34 »
Birds gave my swede a good going over two weeks ago when I somehow forgot to replace the netting after a weeding session.... my own fault .. it only takes a day. They have recovered somewhat but expect half to be pointless stunted plants now.
I am reliably informed by folk on here that swedes can still be sown even now for a decent crop, so tomorrow I will be putting that theory to the test, out of doors, bareback, and all that. I will be reporting back in December.
I'm siting this latest bunch next to their country cousins, my snowball turnips which are looking top notch. Being Cornish, I do find it difficult referring to turnips as swede, but it is the only way to be understood.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 20:37 »
Birds gave my swede a good going over two weeks ago when I somehow forgot to replace the netting after a weeding session.... my own fault .. it only takes a day. They have recovered somewhat but expect half to be pointless stunted plants now.
I am reliably informed by folk on here that swedes can still be sown even now for a decent crop, so tomorrow I will be putting that theory to the test, out of doors, bareback, and all that. I will be reporting back in December.
I'm siting this latest bunch next to their country cousins, my snowball turnips which are looking top notch. Being Cornish, I do find it difficult referring to turnips as swede, but it is the only way to be understood.

Ohhh i may sow some more too, seen as hubby murdered some of mine today.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 20:37 »
Mmm - I think I am out of seed but if not I will sow some more tomorrow as a last ditch attempt!

Jackypam

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 22:04 »
I have a lot of trouble with pigeons & rabbits and neither touch the swede. Other brassicas, french beans, leeks, lettuce & radishes they seem to prefer here.
Aha! That's where the French beans are going!  I didn't know the pigeons ate them.  I planted the 4th attempts today so I will net them tomorrow and maybe I will at least see them before they get eaten!  Thanks for the info.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 22:16 »
My French beans are 2m away from my swede and are fine! Different tastes in different areas obviously  :)

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 20:00 »
our pigeons eat anything I think....defo have to cover the swede with nets...

yaxley

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 20:07 »
They had a nibble of my swedes and took all the tops off my neighbours beetroot ...
Grow organic as nature intended

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 20:15 »
yep..they had our peas and beetroot..all recovered after appropriate netting applied

karen.linda

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 21:29 »
I have discovered that my swede leaves have also been eaten and suspect its the birds (lots of pigeons on the site).  I didn't realise until I filled up the netting with other brassicas that swede was of the same group :-(

We live and learn eh?  Some of mine seem to be surviving now they are bigger (or perhaps its the lull before the storm)
Heck, yes,  I'm SHORT.  God only lets things grow until they're PERFECT. Some of us didn't take as long as others  :-)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 23:17 »
Set my swede about 10days ago and they were through in 5 days.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

xx
swede

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 09:30
by pdblake
xx
Swede

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 09:00
by DD.
xx
first try with swede

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2024, 13:20
by Nobbie
xx
swede

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 23:09
by gypsy

Page created in 0.876 seconds with 38 queries.