Sowing peas and beans direct - what's the trick?

• 19 Replies

Kirpi

Sowing peas and beans direct - what's the trick?
« on: June 29, 2013, 16:35 »
I must have gone through around £15 in compost pot-sowing peas and beans, but the line of peas I sowed direct - about fifty peas - as an experiment to see if I could save some money next year didn't come up; not even one.  I am concerned that if I sow direct next year I will be throowing good seed away.

What's the trick? I know one or two of you may say, "open trench, throw seeds in, cover, water, wait", but that's what I did this year in my test line and I got nothing.

I'm throwing money away sowing them in pots but also in sowing straight into the ground if nothing comes up.

Also, if I sow singly into module trays so many of them rot because the compost must be too wet but won't germinate if the compost is too dry - peas seem to be so fussy about the right moisture level. In pots, three to a 3" pot, it seems easier to get the watering just right somehow.

Any tips and tricks?

Beetroot queen

Re: Sowing peas and beans direct - what's the trick?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 16:49 »
In previous years i have sowed direct and i end up using so many peas as something pulls them out or nibbles them, even while netted.

This year my peas went into modules and i had 100% success rate, no problems at all, kept them watered and within a few days up they came. Didnt put out till they were maybe 6 inches and then out they went, netted till they doubled there size and then removed net.

Beans were terrible for us this year, usually i sow in trays and then at planting out add a seed to each station and a plant. Seems to work everytime except this year. Yorkie saved the day by sending some seeds down as somerset seemed to have a runner seed shortage and i couldnt find any for love nor money.

Now we have 200 plus plants as i was so concerned about a bean free year i sowed the whole lot yorkie sent me plus some from amazon convinced they would fail, guess what they didnt  :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 17:16 »
Sorry, can't help, I'm a

"open trench, throw seeds in, cover, water, wait"

type person.

Did you net the row?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kirpi

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 17:29 »
I didn't think it would be long before DD, The Pea God, happened along. I would be happy to just be a Pea Angel!

No, I didn't net, but I don't think they even germinated.

DD - I am guessing you sowed into finely crumbed soil whereas I sowed into a raised bed of homegrown compost material and the soil was around four inches below that.

Beetroot Queen - how do you ensure the right moisture level for your module trays? I always end up turning my peas into a paste as they rot in the cell. Must be overwatering, but I don't get this problem if I sow three to a small pot as the moisture seems to even out.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 17:37 »
I have to say that I just created a shallow drill, chucked them in, covered them up and left them to it and I've not had any problems at all. I've done the chuck 'em in thing with mange tout, peas and beans and had 90% germination rates.

It's my first year so it's not like I'm doing any special tricks (because I don't know any) so my guess is that either the seeds were duff or something's nibbling them before they germinate.

Someone on Youtube did a video where they had terrible problems with mice and put a fine chicken mesh tunnel over and into the soil all the way along the row and ends. That was the only way they manage to get a pea crop at all.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 17:48 »
Did you find any evidence of ungerminated seed and did you keep them moist?

I lay debris netting on top of mine, well pegged down, until they start showing, then it's up with the stakes and more open net, enough to keep bird off.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 18:07 »
One year, I sowed peas - came home to get the netting, because I'd forgotten it, and by the time I went back the birds had eaten the blinking lot  :blink:

I sow and cover with polysheeting if it's cold, netting if it's warm. Works for me  :)

grendel

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 18:49 »
my trick was to dig the area, mark out my lines then dib about 4" deep with the hoe handle, spacing about 5" then grab a handfull of peas or beans (this year I mixed peas and 3 different beans, runner broad and french) then along the row popping 1 into each hole  (or 2 if 2 drop in). previous years I have had pitiful results, but this year I have huge plants. to cover over just rake over to fill the holes. hoops over the rows - didnt use a net this year.
worked for me this year.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Kirpi

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 19:02 »
Thank you for the tips. I think I need to work on this one; shouldn't have to faff around with compost and pots.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 19:06 »
I havent been able to sow pea or beans direct for years due to flea beetle or something that nibbles the leaves down and kills the plants.Ive had chickens on the plot overwinter though and they must have eaten most of them as  have sewn direct this year with only small amount of damage.
I have sewn in guttering for years and found they dont like a lot of water on the compost,just a layer of moist compost straight from the bag,layer the seed,then cover with an inch more compost then a light watering as needed.
I stll have to net them from start to fiinish to keep birds off though.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 19:46 »
I watered daily and had no problem. If they looked thirsty they got a sprinkle.

grendel

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 22:07 »
watering? whats that, should be wet enough at the depth I sow.
Grendel

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 22:35 »
Depends on your soil, Grendel.

One rule does not cover all.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 22:37 »
I watered daily in modules not the open ground  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 22:46 »
I watered once this year - when I sowed mine. Like Grendel I've not watered since.

But that's no use if you've got well draining, sandy soil, for example.

Whilst geminating you MUST keep any seed moist, or you might as well have not sown them.

Sorry Gendel, but your comment only applies to your soil, and it could be misleading for others without giving your reasons for not watering.

xx
Direct Sowing Broad Beans & Parsnips

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 09:28
by LilacSandy
xx
Sowing Early Peas and Broad Beans in Feb - outdoors or in pots?

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 08:05
by HuwG
xx
is it worth autumn sowing peas and broad beans to carry over winter?

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 20:58
by dugless
xx
Sowing direct

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 12:30
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.755 seconds with 38 queries.