Poll

Which New Potato has been most successful this year.

Swift
2 (4.4%)
Casablanca
4 (8.9%)
Winston
1 (2.2%)
Rocket
9 (20%)
Lady Christl
7 (15.6%)
Arran Pilot
5 (11.1%)
International Kidney
1 (2.2%)
Orla
3 (6.7%)
Pentland Javelin
4 (8.9%)
Red Duke of York
2 (4.4%)
Foremost
1 (2.2%)
Epicure
0 (0%)
Accent
0 (0%)
Accord
0 (0%)
Home Guard
1 (2.2%)
Maris Bard
1 (2.2%)
Dunluce
0 (0%)
Sharpe's Express
0 (0%)
Vanessa
0 (0%)
Ulster Classic
1 (2.2%)
Ulster Prince
0 (0%)
Vales Emerald
0 (0%)
Annabelle
1 (2.2%)
Premiere
2 (4.4%)
Sherine
0 (0%)
Ulster Sceptre
0 (0%)
Duke of York
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: July 28, 2013, 10:39

New Potatoes

• 64 Replies

Lisa62

Re: New Potatoes
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 22:29 »
Had some Vivaldis for tea tonight.  Not a massive yield but very tasty and low carb.  Did a side by side taste test with Vivaldi salad potatoes bought in Sainsburys and the home grown ones won the family vote.  Very happy.
Runner up Bray Best Kept Allotment 2013!  🌱

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 22:42 »
I am finding it impossible to vote because it is my first time growing potatoes and I have not been at all impressed by my International Kidney (nothing like true Jersey Royals)  and only slightly more impressed by my Winston  :( The only one we love and would grow again is the Charlottes and they are not first earlies even though they were ready at the same time!  :blink:

Hence my comment early on in the thread!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jackypam

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 22:53 »
I lost every last plant to blackleg.  2 years blight followed by this years blackleg.  Think I'll grow something else instead next year. 

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 10:49 »
With two days to go the placings are for most successful first early :

1.    Rocket
2.    Lady Christl.
3=   Arran Pilot
3=   Pentland Javelin.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

Steveharford

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 17:01 »
Just added my vote for Casablanca. Very clean. Tasty. Good germination in a bad year for it. Accent I think are tastier but only about half germinated so that's why they don't get my vote.

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2013, 22:12 »
Just twelve hours left to register a vote.  I can't believe despite a cold start that only 40 odd people have tried their first earlies.

Lincolnshire Floyd

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2013, 23:51 »
I don't understand what this thread is asking. Should it be called  'Which new potato has grown the best this year in your personal experience?' Or 'Have you tried a new variety of new potato this year and why?' Or 'Are you stuck in a rut and grow the same new potatoes every year and which ones?' Or "Which new potatoes are popular and for what reason?' Or 'What do you class as a new potato?' Or 'Have you lifted a main crop spud yet and if you have is it an early?'  Or "If you have grown more than one early potato variety which has produced the highest yield?' Or "How do you measure the success of a new potato, by taste or by weight?' Or 'What does success mean when growing potatoes?' Or 'Which new potato has had the most successful marketing strategy this year?' :unsure:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 00:11 by Lincolnshire Floyd »

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2013, 01:14 »
All my first earlies were very poor,swift,vanessa and pentland javelin,all i can think is the cold spring didnt help them.They had plenty of manure in,planted well and then never came through for ages,poor top growth,i knew they were going to be poor before i dug them up.
The secoond earlies charlottes are a total different ball game,good top growth with a lot of stems on each plant,im seriously thinking of just growing these next year.

Growster...

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2013, 06:05 »
Lady Christl - excellent!

Annabelle - fabulous - the best we've ever had, but relatively low yield!

Charlotte still to come.

lettice

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2013, 08:39 »
M arron pilot have been a great crop, all grown in large potato bags and 12 inch tubs, just picked a load more today
My charlotte in bags and tubs still to come, be starting on them mid aug I expect.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2013, 21:26 »
I have not bothered to vote, as I have tried almost all of the varieties listed and all with one notable exception are not worth harvesting in my experience of them!

I grow quite a lot as I sell them at two of our local shows in July, whereas they will take anything without looking and pay top notch in the supermarkets, when buying mine they examine and poke and ask all sorts of questions as if I were trying to poison them,before they part with their cash!

I have had a very good crop of medium sized very clean potatoes this season, unlike some other plot holders who have shown me their egg sized crop, of Rocket etc!

Potatoes are a funny crop, what grows well in one soil maybe does not do so well in another!

Cheers!
STOP, and smell the roses!

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2013, 21:42 »
I don't understand what this thread is asking. Should it be called  'Which new potato has grown the best this year in your personal experience?' Or 'Have you tried a new variety of new potato this year and why?' Or 'Are you stuck in a rut and grow the same new potatoes every year and which ones?' Or "Which new potatoes are popular and for what reason?' Or 'What do you class as a new potato?' Or 'Have you lifted a main crop spud yet and if you have is it an early?'  Or "If you have grown more than one early potato variety which has produced the highest yield?' Or "How do you measure the success of a new potato, by taste or by weight?' Or 'What does success mean when growing potatoes?' Or 'Which new potato has had the most successful marketing strategy this year?' :unsure:

You are being pernickety and awkward for the sake of it. Of course it means 'which new pot did best for you this year'. Taking the time to type out such a long diatribe about something you apparently don't understand suggests otherwise.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 22:02 »
Please chill out guys - you can always try growing rice or pasta  ::) if spuds don't agree with you for any reason (even Rocket is only a spud, not science!  :wacko:  ;))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 22:37 »
My 'Belle de Fontaney' first early new potatoes have been stunning this year - huge yield, really tasty.

My 'Pink Fir Apple' new potatoes (I think are a maincrop) - first 2 bags - got less than I planted and they were tiny?  ??? NO idea what happened there as the next 2 bags of these were chocka with a lovely delicious yield.

2 varieties I love to grow and likely to grow again. ;)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2013, 22:43 »
Just twelve hours left to register a vote.  I can't believe despite a cold start that only 40 odd people have tried their first earlies.

I've been on and off the 'puter all day while watching the racing and I didn't see this thread until now so too late to vote.
Not that I planted any of the above ::)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 22:55 by devonbarmygardener »

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes

Started by tonydevine125 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 20:59
by Jay The Digger

Page created in 1.023 seconds with 44 queries.