Newbie to a new plot. Advice wanted

• 13 Replies

JUDGE DREDD

Newbie to a new plot. Advice wanted
« on: June 26, 2013, 22:16 »
Hi, My partner and I have just got our first allotment & have another couple to share the plot with. We have pretty much cleared the plot and have divided the plot into 8 sections of about 15ft by 4 ft each. We have pretty much turned over the first patch and planted Runner Beans, French Beans, Sweetcorn,Cauliflower & Broccoli which all came from a garden centre which had already started to grow. They had only been in the ground about 2 days before we went back, only to discover that all of the leaves to the Cauliflower & Broccoli had disappeared which I now believe to be birds. On our return a couple of days later we find wholes in the leaves of the beans which I believe to be slugs. Does this sound right ?

Due to the length of time it is taking us to turn the whole plot over & the time of year, we are thinking there will not be much time left to plant much this year. Should we just get the plot how we want it, dug over, manure it and cover each patch until next year so we can get well stuck in ?
Jarrod

cadalot

Re: Newbie to a new plot. Advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 23:03 »
There are suggestions here on what you can grow month by month but we are running late this year but there is time if you want to do something or green manure if you don't - I got my plot in October and will have 12 beds I only got bed 7 dug over last weekend and popped on sweet corn. You have lots of time for fast growing salads etc just sort out your nets and blue pellets of death - take a look at my diary your see where I am and hopefully where I'm going i.e. I have cabbages in cold frame at home that will need to go into bed 8 once done.

Most of all enjoy it.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 23:22 »
The link on jobs by month doesn't work at the minute (Mods?) but there is information on John's new site here:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-month-help/index.php You can still plant quite a few things, and if you don't have time to get them up from seed, I'm sure garden centres/DIY chains will still have stock of plants.

It sounds like you've made a really good start. I'm essentially starting from scratch this year, and will also have 12 beds in the end - I have 5 done and planted, no6 coming this weekend.

I'd cover what you don't think you can use immediately - Nature has a way of taking land back at speed! And definitely invest in nets for brassicas otherwise you'll have lots of caterpillars as well as birds feasting on your plants...

Good luck!  :)

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 23:38 »
know how you feel i have a very fat pheasant that really likes my green stuff ..lesson learned now unless hes got a set of wire cutters  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 04:14 »
Apart from what you can glean from garden centres, there's things to be planting that will over winter.

Winter cauli seed can be sown now and spring cabbage very shortly, to raise plants for autumn planting, then there's Japanese, (winter) onions and garlic that can go in about October time. There is no need to shut up shop until next year.

The brassicas will, of course, need to be protected from birds and slugs.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JUDGE DREDD

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:58 »
OK, Thanks for all the advice but when do we need to add manure or is green manure just as good ?

I also understand that we should not manure the whole plot, Is this the same with green manure ?

surbie100

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 11:17 »
If you've got access to rotted manure, you can stick it on whenever really. If it's fresh, either store it to rot down for a year or more or you can put it on beds to overwinter - though I don't think mine rotted enough over winter and I won't be trying it again!

Don't manure beds for brassicas, carrots or parsnips.

I don't know the answer to the green manure question, other than it's good as a weed suppressant too. And not to sow a green manure if you are following it with a crop from the same family.

Have a look here: http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/advice/how-to-sow-green-manure-seeds/

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:27 »
If you've got access to rotted manure, you can stick it on whenever really. If it's fresh, either store it to rot down for a year or more or you can put it on beds to overwinter - though I don't think mine rotted enough over winter and I won't be trying it again!

Don't manure beds for brassicas, carrots or parsnips.

I don't know the answer to the green manure question, other than it's good as a weed suppressant too. And not to sow a green manure if you are following it with a crop from the same family.

Have a look here: http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/advice/how-to-sow-green-manure-seeds/

I thought cabbages liked manure  ???Omg i am so confused.

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 16:06 »
i think the best bit of advice would be cover most things if possible,i started out the same as you ,most of my crops got eat by birds rabbits etc ,it wasnt until i protected them i got any returns,i would say get covers of some description before any planting then you wont be dissapointed.

grendel

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 18:52 »
pea netting can be got at poundshops for guess what - a quid, bend some hoops over your plants and drape the net over the top - weigh down the edges, better than nothing, I make my hoops from a 6' length of split cane (we bought some split cane screening and the wire rusted, leaving me with hundreds of 6' lengths of split bamboo cane, makes lovely hoops). as long as there is a visible barrier it will deter most birds this year I just criss crossed the hoops and my crops still got left alone
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 19:12 »
The link on jobs by month doesn't work at the minute (Mods?) but there is information on John's new site here:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-month-help/index.php

Surbie, please could you highlight where this broken link is?  I can't find any links remaining on this site to monthly jobs - if you can identify its location then we might be able to do something about it?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

surbie100

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 20:13 »

Asherweef

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 21:31 »
Hi :)

I'm a newbie too! I picked up one of John's books - Complete Veg Grower today from The Works for £3.99. Maybe worth a look?

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 21:46 »
Should we just get the plot how we want it, dug over, manure it and cover each patch until next year so we can get well stuck in ?

The satisfaction of getting something growing on your plot is well worth the effort of sowing anything now, even if you don't really like beetroot, or turnips or spinach and it wont be showbench quality.  I wouldn't spend a huge amount on shop bought seedlings, but that's because I'm mean :D

I'm still planting out pumpkins and corn.  Those might be worth a few quid for seedlings from the garden centre.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

xx
newbie allotment plot owner needs some advice

Started by mikeashworth on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 26, 2011, 10:56
by mikeashworth
xx
More new lotty advice wanted

Started by lincspoacher on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 00:17
by compostqueen
clip
Raspberry Advice Wanted

Started by Salmon1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 11:12
by JayG
xx
Advice Wanted On Beetroot Plugs Please

Started by pol and mick on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 00:33
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.602 seconds with 36 queries.