Jam jam jam

• 86 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: Jam jam jam
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2013, 06:45 »
I order from c wynne and sons absolutely brilliant, p and p can seem steep but when the parcel arrives you know why wephen you feel the weight. I have never had a problem and they are very speedy, i use round jars for my chutney and hexagonal for jams, just looks pretty.

snowdrops

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2013, 15:27 »
Do you not recycle jars,I do. I ask people to save them for me. then I use the plastic tops & waxed circles.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beetroot queen

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2013, 15:51 »
Do you not recycle jars,I do. I ask people to save them for me. then I use the plastic tops & waxed circles.

Nope i can cope with using recycled jars its a personal issue i have.  :wub:

snowdrops

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2013, 15:56 »
Why if you sterilise them they're fine or is it they all need to be the same? Doesn't fit in to your frugal thread :lol: :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2013, 16:16 »
Why if you sterilise them they're fine or is it they all need to be the same? Doesn't fit in to your frugal thread :lol: :lol:

I know i am working hard to change, but it takes time  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2013, 16:25 »
1 jar at a time huh. Which answer was it? :happy:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2013, 16:34 »
1 jar at a time huh. Which answer was it? :happy:

Its the same issue i think  :blush:

snowdrops

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2013, 16:42 »
 :lol:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2013, 18:23 »
I go with BQ on this.I only buy once ,but when your jars are all the same it is so worth it  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Mrs Bee

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2013, 18:25 »

You can also use a teaspoon of sunflower oil.....  If I think it is ready I do the methylated spirits test to check

Didn't know you could use oil instead so thanks for that tip. What's the methylated spirit test? please

When you have slowly and lovingly simmered your fruit to extract the pectin, take the pan off the heat and take out a teaspoon of the fruit and put it in a small jar of methylated spirits.

Wait for a minute or too and look at the fruit.

If you have a firm lump of jelly you have high amounts of pectin,

if the fruit holds together it is a medium pectin,

if it barely makes a blob you have very little pectin and are unlikely to get a set unless you add some extra pectin in the way of the liquid certo, or a pectin stock or the addition of grated bramley apple that has been simmered in a little water and then added to the fruit.

Some books tell you to add more lemon juice but the lemon juice is usually added to help release the pectin in the fruit.

I usually do this test as pectin levels in fruit can vary.

Also if you boil the fruit hard and quickly at the beginning of the jam making process you can actually kill off the pectin. Low and slow at the beginning before you add the sugar is best.

Also with strawberry I find that simmering  long enough to reduce the water content of the fruit also helps with the set.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2013, 18:28 »
What pots do you get BQ?  Its my first try this year and I need to get pots first.

I get mine from Pattesons glass, you can find them on line.

They do free post and packaging.

They also do  special weekend deals with some of their jars.

snowdrops

« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2013, 19:27 »
BobE I'm referring to the fact that lots of people recycle glass jars for their jam,others choose to buy them. Some months ago the EU banned the use of recycled jars for produce that was to be sold or given to charity etc. There was a thread on here about it,somebody better than me can direct you to it I'm sure.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2013, 19:33 »
I saw that thread too SnowDrops what a load of rubbish if it's sterilized it is end of! I am buying jars purely to reduce storage space needed as these stack nicely on top of eachother I will only replace breakages now  ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2013, 21:36 »
Mrs Bee, Ive found Pattesons glass online.  Am I right in presuming that the shape is just a cosmetic feature? or does the shape of the jar have some influence on starage?

The shape is just cosmetic. Makes no difference to the storage time. If you have followed a proper recipe and got a good seal on your jar lids your preserves should last for a couple of years if not longer.

official keeping time is usually....  jam  1 year. Marmalade 2, chutney 1 and relishes 6 months.

I was very lucky with the special offer with Pattesons a few weeks ago and ended up paying about 20p per jar, including lid.   Although I did buy 300 jars.

Also reguarding recycled jars, if you are going to use recycled it is a good idea to buy new lids as they will give a better seal and will not have the smell of whatever was in the jar before, eg pickles or curry paste for example.

Pattersons sell lids separately too. ;)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2013, 21:39 »
Yep i always buy new lids even if i re-use my jars. I dont like the smell on them especially the vinegar from chutneys.

I use different jars so jam stays in jam jars and chutney in chutney jars.

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 36 queries.