Jam jam jam

• 86 Replies

Beetroot queen

Jam jam jam
« on: June 25, 2013, 10:04 »
I am trying again with strawberry jam i never seem to get this one right, either too runny or goes mouldy.

I am using new jars which have been washed in very hot water and they are now getting toasty in the oven.

I have cheated slightly and have employed the tefal jam maker, i will be so cross if it fails as its a waste of lovely fruit  ;)

Eblana

Re: Jam jam jam
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:11 »
I made some at the weekend.  I also cheated and used Jam Sugar (couldn't get pectin anywhere) as my strawberry jam never seems to set.  It is a lot better this time around but still not perfect but next lot will have a little cooking apple in with it to help with the Pectin and also reduce some of the sweetness. ;)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:54 »
I am not sure this batch has set but it started to smell like it was catching. Any other jam is fine but strawberry beats me every time  >:(

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:59 »
Me too, tastes delicious but is always runny, more like a couli than a jam.  At least this batch stayed on the bread but it still isn't set enough.  I always seem to get a scum on the top as well that I have to scrape off or else it goes mouldy.  I might try reboiling this lot as I don't think it would take much to set it to the consistancy of proper jam.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 11:01 »
I skimmed off loads, i was beginning to think i'd have no jam to put in jars. I dont use butter is disperse the scum because of florences allergies and in the hope that one day she will be able to eat my jams.  ::) always hoping

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:11 »
Does butter get rid of the scum?  I am new to this jam making :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:14 »
In my book it says so. Never tried it though, i tend to use the most basic methods for jam, fruit, sugar and lemon juice if needed.

Sue33

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:19 »

oh, I didn't realise strawberry jam was difficult  :ohmy: was thinking of making some in the next couple of days, did blackberry and apple last year and it was gorgeous  8) when would you add butter??

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:33 »

oh, I didn't realise strawberry jam was difficult  :ohmy: was thinking of making some in the next couple of days, did blackberry and apple last year and it was gorgeous  8) when would you add butter??

Just before potting so it says, but this is using a tefal jam maker so not sure if thats applicable in a pan.
My blackberry and apple is great and so are all the others its just those tasty red strawberries that fail for me  :wacko:

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 13:16 »
Does it really matter if it is a bit runny? Do you really need to skim off the scum? To me that is the joy of home made jam and it still tastes so much better than the bought stuff! Not perfick but if you want that, you can get it at the supermarket! Embrace the imperfections ladies!!  :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 13:24 »
Does it really matter if it is a bit runny? Do you really need to skim off the scum? To me that is the joy of home made jam and it still tastes so much better than the bought stuff! Not perfick but if you want that, you can get it at the supermarket! Embrace the imperfections ladies!!  :D

If you dont take off the scum i find it disperses through the jar, does this not contribute to it going mouldy.  :wacko: its so annoying as all my others look like shop versions  ???

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 13:33 »
I think home made strawberry jam is always runnier than shop bought. To stop the scum,without adding butter, just allow the jam to cool a little before putting it in the jars,then stir it well while still in the pan until the scum disperses,not sure about the jam maker as I only use a pan. As someone said a bit of apple added at the cooking stage will help it set,not that I use it. Never had any go mouldy,that indicates that it is not kept in a cool dark place,wet jars or that it hasn't got ratio of fruit to sugar right-thats where the boiling comes in to play. Basically you are evaporating the water out of the fruit.
I envy you all enough home grown strawbs to make jam from,I've never had that many plants.
I'm sure someone else will be along to tell you all different to my advise :lol: I've not made any strawb jam for a few years but did used to make loads when the children were small,sometimes a couple of jars made it to the next year & was still good.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Sue33

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 13:43 »

just bought some jam sugar from Sainsbury's, didn't think it was going to cost that much - £2.50, so am I right in thinking equal weights strawberries/sugar, boil up, then put into sterilized jars?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 13:45 »
My recipe called for 1kg of fruit plus 800g of sugar plus 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.

I put a small dish in the fridge, i always do this to try it. It seems to have set fine but i am not happy still with the bubbles in it.  ::)

Debz

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 14:05 »
I have just finished eating the last pot of home made strawberry jam I had in storage and it was a little runny.  I needed something for my toast the next morning and used a little pot of commercial jam.  It was set but frankly it was b. awful and I won't be eating it again.  I'll just have to bide my time until the strawbs are ready here.  I'd rather runny and homemade than the commercial set stuff.

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.