Growers pellets or mash?

• 8 Replies

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Growers pellets or mash?
« on: June 24, 2013, 23:06 »
Hi everyone im back. Some of you know i lots of chicks hatched and are growing fast. Those hatched in the bator dont really like the growers pellets as much, chicks with the mums love it and they are only bou 4-5 weeks. Others are 12 weeks now. Could i get growers mash?  If so how do u feed them? I havent seen mash so not sure what it looks like.
I dont really fancy feeding them wet food as they'll have runny poos. They love chapatis though which is ofcourse made from wheat flour hehe.

Any suggestions?

Mo
image.jpg

Sparkyrog

Re: Growers pellets or mash?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 23:28 »
I have never known mash to effect their poos ! However nor have I ever seen growers mash only layers .
I cook therefore I grow

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 00:08 »

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:16 »
My young ones are not keen on the pellets either, and it's all I can get. They have it watered to a soft consistancy with no ill effects, and scoff the lot.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 08:58 »
Could you try grinding the pellets up to make them smaller.? How old are the chicks that won't eat it? Usually not start feeding growers till between 6 and 8 weeks old. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:55 »
As Sassy says mohs.ayaz chicks should be on chick crumb until they are 6 to 8 weeks old.  To feed them on growers would mean that they do not have the right nutrients and can have detrimental effects to their development.  They may look fine but their bone development is essential for when they get older and heavier.  Chickens will only refuse to eat something if they are given an alternative so I would persist with giving them the chick crumb and then mixing it with the growers so that they get used to the change in feed.  As Sassy said grinding some of the growers should also work to help them adjust to pellets.  Growers mash is the consistency of chick crumb but with a different balance of nutrients, basically it is unformed growers pellets.

With regard to feeding them chapatis you need to be aware that it is illegal to feed your chickens anything that has been in your kitchen.  You can buy things in and store them elsewhere for them.  It is advisable to stick to commercial food though as said before it has the correct balance of nutrients to keep them healthy and well fed.   ;)

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 13:33 »
That ones dont eat are 12 weeks now, i've put a picture up of one. I will try grinding and see if they eat them.

They love it if they r bit wet but they had runny poos last time i gave them.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 18:32 »
It sounds like they just don't like the texture of the pellets so mashing them up should work.   ;)

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 20:12 »
Hopefully it'll work.. :-)

xx
Growers to Layers Mash.............When?

Started by crem on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2009, 16:43
by Chookiechook
xx
growers pellets v growers meal

Started by jennywren on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 15:42
by jennywren
xx
mash or pellets

Started by gregs1972 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 24, 2007, 08:08
by si-mate
xx
Pellets or mash ?

Started by Mr Chookles on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 21:11
by Vember

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 37 queries.