dog friendly slug pellets from a shop?

• 5 Replies

stephent

dog friendly slug pellets from a shop?
« on: June 23, 2013, 22:40 »
I need some pellets before the blooming slugs have everything.  Problem is the dog comes with me to the allotment.  Where can I get dog friendly slug pellets from? 
Thanks

Steve

solway cropper

Re: dog friendly slug pellets from a shop?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 23:05 »
Does your dog eat slug pellets?

I think he'd need to eat quite a few before doing any serious harm. I'd be more concerned about the effect of the pellets on the local frog/bird population. There are organic pellets available from most garden suppliers.

stephent

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 23:21 »
I wouldn't want to risk her eating any. Not sure if she would,  but I am still not chancing it.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 00:18 »
This is one safe method of controlling slugs: Nemaslug but it may well be too expensive.

Natural Slug control... worth a read perhaps?

Perhaps the easiest & safest way to prevent your dog from chance eating of slug bait (the little blue wonders) is to limit the dog to one patch of space by use of the lead.

On our site dog owners are not allowed to let their dogs off the lead while on site. Seems reasonable to me as they can wander, trample and... do other things on other peoples plots. Just a thought.  ;)

Alternatively you could look out for a couple of hundred frogs or toads to do the job for you...  :unsure:

In an ideal environment this might work but I've seen only one frog on our site in the last 50 years. Foxes often like them as much as we do.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 02:42 »
I use the Growing Success organic pellets, find they work very well and they are supposed to be harmless to all wildlife, dogs and kids. Certainly my evil lurcher follows me around the garden eating everything in sight, and she's had plenty of those pellets and it doesn't seem to have done her any harm.

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 09:47 »
Agree with @Paul Plots, Nemaslug the only really effective dog-friendly method (although this post from @Grubbypaws suggests they don't always work as well as expected: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=106895.0). See this previous thread: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=106755.0 for potential pet worries with so called 'pet-friendly' slug pellets - dogs are specifically mentioned as a worry.
Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

xx
Bird-friendly slug pellets?

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 20:51
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Slug Pellets

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 11:48
by LilacSandy
xx
slug pellets

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2022, 17:23
by Candide
xx
slug pellets

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 22:00
by al78

Page created in 0.598 seconds with 37 queries.