Spinach and chard staying small

• 15 Replies

hubballi

Spinach and chard staying small
« on: June 23, 2013, 19:26 »
I have planted out some chard and spinach in a part of the garden that is mostly shaded until late afternoon. The chard has got smaller and the spinach has stayed he same size 3 weeks on. I just don't get why things planted out never progress when they are in the ideal place. I left one spinach plant aside and potted it in small pot, again in shade and that is growing well. If I put these plants in the sun hey would just bolt. You can't win either way  :(

When I see gardens on the tv with lush,thick tall stems of chard I can never understand how it gets hat big. I have even fed with seaweed and some nitrogen but it hasn't made a difference. Would it be too cold in the soil because the weather has Been so c**p ?

seaside

Re: Spinach and chard staying small
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 19:32 »
I have planted out some chard and spinach in a part of the garden that is mostly shaded until late afternoon.

That's your problem.

hubballi

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 19:41 »
Growing stuff that would otherwise bolt in the sun ?

Sparkyrog

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 20:08 »
I have planted out some chard and spinach in a part of the garden that is mostly shaded until late afternoon. The chard has got smaller and the spinach has stayed he same size 3 weeks on. I just don't get why things planted out never progress when they are in the ideal place. I left one spinach plant aside and potted it in small pot, again in shade and that is growing well. If I put these plants in the sun hey would just bolt. You can't win either way  :(

When I see gardens on the tv with lush,thick tall stems of chard I can never understand how it gets hat big. I have even fed with seaweed and some nitrogen but it hasn't made a difference. Would it be too cold in the soil because the weather has Been so c**p ?
chard is definitely a biannual so should not bolt ,spinach I am unsure about as I don't grow the awful stuff :)
I cook therefore I grow

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 20:28 »
Chard doesn't bolt in the sun, I have grown it in Kenya at 35-40 degrees during the day with no shade.

Spinach I have to be honest I'm not so familiar with, except that I understand that it should really be planted as an autumn crop for the most part?

How much space do they have? Chard for instance I would grow at 30cm spacings both ways.

Becky-Lou

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 20:33 »
Hi Hubballi,

It sounds from your post as though you grew them in modules/pots then planted them out-I have had similar issues with module grown plants which sit in the ground sulking and refuse to grow for weeks after planting!  This year I direct sowed chard in May, and though they were slow to start, they are growing well now. 

Hope that helps  :)

Becky

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 20:37 »
I find spinach only bolts if it is allowed to dry out at the roots and becomes stressed.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

seaside

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 20:44 »
Growing stuff that would otherwise bolt in the sun ?
I have never successfully grown any vegetable to the eating stage under the conditions you describe. Just trying to help.
For example, celery likes a lot of shade, but I wouldn't dream of growing it where there is only "late afternoon sun". Aspect and light level is so important in my experience.

hubballi

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:17 »
I can assure you that chard does indeed bolt in heat. It's happened many times for me. Monty Don on GW gave advice for cutting down to base last year if it happens.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 11:27 »
My chard was planted out late August last year, it stayed small & bushy till May and is now 5ft tall and flowering madly. It's in full sun. TBH I wouldn't care if that means it bolted - the flowers are so much tastier than the bland leaves.

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 11:36 »
Hub is your soil ok,with all the problems you post about the reoccurring theme seems to be the same,you grow things on the most part ok & then when you plant out they either curl up & die or they get smaller & don't grow. The common denominator here seems to be your soil, has it ever had chemicals on the ground etc? If I were you I would conduct some experiments with shop bought plants & home grown versus bought in soil/compost in pots & your soil & if you find out what ails your gardening hopes. I have to give it to you you are tenacious in the face of all these problems you encounter. Best of luck.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

hubballi

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 11:59 »
I have never used chemicals in my soil. The boarders are built up from existing soil and added last year's compost. The only thing I can think is the farm about half a mile away could be using something that may affect growth ? Never cheched the PH of the soil so don't know that. It must be lacking acid because ericaceous plants always did poorly or died.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 13:03 »
Do you use any fertiliser apart from your home-made brews?

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 13:58 »
Sort of the same as Mum,do you put anything on from the farm,i.e manure? Ericaceous plants needs soils that are more on acid side of the PH scale, veg prefer a soil at around 6. 6.5. If I were you I would check that out before planting any more veg.

Is there anyone who follows Hub that is near to him that could pop round & give him some pointers & see the plants in ? as he seems unable to post pictures?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 17:36 »
A member did pop round to help as you suggest, Snowdrops, a year or two ago  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Spinach and Chard

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 10:52
by Sue32
xx
Chard/Perpetual Spinach

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 18:25
by Stripey_cat
xx
Organic Fertiliser for Chard, Kale and Spinach

Started by VegWill on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 00:03
by Kristen
xx
Small Kale and Chard (Again)

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 21:18
by Debsie

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 38 queries.