5 out of 6 Cukes dead and crispy.

• 10 Replies

Lardman

5 out of 6 Cukes dead and crispy.
« on: June 23, 2013, 15:40 »
Any point in sowing more at this stage?  I can only think the heat / light is too strong in the greenhouse for them  :wacko:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: 5 out of 6 Cukes dead and crispy.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 19:33 »
I reckon you could resow.  They grow so fast I'm sure you would get a crop this summer  :)

Could be the air in the greenhouse is too dry.  They like humidity, so maybe stand the pots on a tray of gravel that you could have some water standing in   ;)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 20:15 »
in 2011 I put one cuke in the poly at the end of june it grew like a triffid was still harvesting in december but all my toms got blight ! I guess I got the ventilation wrong .
I cook therefore I grow

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 20:23 »
I suppose it could be humidity, although with only 1 leaf I wouldn't have thought it would have made that much difference?  I'll grab some pictures tomorrow, but to be honest everything in the greenhouse is looking worse for wear this year.  :(

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 20:29 »
They're slow starters but once they get going they grow fast, so I would say yes, there's time.

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 20:42 »
It is certainly not too late - one year I sowed some at the beginning of July and still did okay. As New Shoot said they need humidity but they also need to be shaded from the sun. The way my father showed me to do this was to make a sort of umbrella out of newspaper and tie it to the plants' supports just above the plant. As the cuke grows taller the umbrella is pushed further up the support. Believe it or not it really does help to protect the plants.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 10:43 »
I think Id go with sun over dose. It's difficult to tell as there are so few leaves, but you can see things started well and then the leaves yellowed and died from the tip backwards.  :(

I think I'll put some newspaper on the glass to shade the newly sown (assuming the germinate) until they're 2ft tall.
crispy_cuke.jpg

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 15:11 »
Just as well I cannot post pics of my cukes - they are looking really healthy - you might never speak to me again.   :D   Should be picking the first later this week - although that is a bit later than normal.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 15:17 »
Even on dull days you still get the powerful UV rays coming through. Plants are as sensitive as humans to the burning effects. Sounds like newspaper on the roof should work until they're strong enough to 'defend' themselves. And I agree on adding some humidity. Cukes are basically water hogs.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 20:38 »
I use thin fleece pegged to the glass permanently. 

That's the normal 17g fleece, not the thicker 30g fleece.  Seems to be working. 
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 13:57 »
My cucumber curled up and died  ::) i have decided lidl sell them for a reason.  ::)

The first year we threw seeds in the ground and ignored them and had 8 out of 8 perfect, heavy cropping well over 100 cucumbers in total since then we havent been able to grow them well at all.  :wacko:

xx
My grapevines look dead. I've just spent £30 on two dead sticks

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 19:59
by Jay Dubya
xx
Compost is crispy

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 17:35
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
crispy leaves on my spuds

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 20:03
by hanssg
xx
Crispy broad bean flowers

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 18:24
by DD.

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 37 queries.